Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing rifle

Changing rifle

So went down to local gunshop today to cash in my CZ550 (.243) in order to get a new rifle. I thought you could just "sell" your existing rifle back to the dealer (i.e. part-ex) hence opening up that slot on your FAC and allow you to purchase new rifle there and then. He said I needed to send everything back licensing HQ and await them to remove the rifle and then purchase the new one. Is this really how it works... seems barmy to me!

Quote Originally Posted by stig View Post
    Is this really how it works... seems barmy to me!
    In a word Stig............Yes.

Sorry to bring you the bad news.

ATB

Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by stig View Post
    So went down to local gunshop today to cash in my CZ550 (.243) in order to get a new rifle. I thought you could just "sell" your existing rifle back to the dealer (i.e. part-ex) hence opening up that slot on your FAC and allow you to purchase new rifle there and then. He said I needed to send everything back licensing HQ and await them to remove the rifle and then purchase the new one. Is this really how it works... seems barmy to me!
    Its a bummer Stig but thats the way it works.
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

up.. 'Like for like replacement' is what it's called I believe... There are a couple of threads on here about it...

That is one of the ways it works.

You can put in your one for one variation prior to getting rid of your rifle. You need to ask for a one for one variation on your .243 ON DISPOSAL of the .243.

This way the RFD will see that you are allowed to purchase another rifle........ONLY, when the other one has been sold. This way you can use your rifle all the way up until the police sort their side out.

I think i am right in saying that a like for like will not cost you anything for a variation but you do need to apply

Yep, a one for one variation is free, but don't expect it right away, mines took 21 days and only after phoneing to complain that a home visit was not needed. It arrived 2 days later, so be prepared for a wait?

Moe..

Oh dear.............

What your asking for is a :-

One for One variation

and yes this is free. Now some forces issue a temp permit to hold the existing rifle for a short period while the deal takes place. Once you dispose of the rifle to the dealers the temp permit is returned to the Police who issued it.

'fraid so Stig..... I had exactly the same reaction years ago when I first changed my 17hmr from a Marlin to an Anschutz....Does "You're kidding me, right?" sound familiar??

Does seem a strange approach, but them's da rules.....
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Welcome to the asylum, Stig.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!