Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .308 for driven shooting.

.308 for driven shooting.

So, I wish to purchace a .308 bolt action for driven shooting both abroad and in the UK.
    I will match this gun with a 1.5-5x scope and a moderator for use here in the uk.
    I have an on going serious back problem and realy dislike recoil[although I dont feel it at the time] and chose the 308 for that reason and the fact I can get ammunition easily in eastern europe

So, I would like something reletively light and easy to swing, with an easy to use bolt and a decent capacity mag and hopefully a stock that will help with eye scope alignment[although I can alter the stock if needed].
    As it will not be my main weapon and will perhaps be used on 2-3 trips a year abroad and once or twice here in the UK I do not wish to break the bank.
    Can any of you suggest what guns I should be looking at and what mods are you happy with on 308, remembering weight etc.
    Thank you.

I'd go T3,
    the plastic single row mag feeds well, if not it can be changed to AI mag systems if needed later.
    T3 can be upgraded with a three position firing pin safety...some on the continent prefer that.
    Rifle is light and normally shoots very well in 308.
    Stock can be upgraded which can do quite a bit for felt recoil, comfort and eye position.
    edi

Not wanting to put a spanner in the works, but moderators are banned in most of Europe, so won't be any help in reducing recoil.

Have a look at something like the Merkel Helix, with the short semi weigh barrel. Frankonia have this special at the moment, biased for driven boar

http://www.frankonia.de/Repetierb%C3...32&query=helix

Or if you see anything else of interest, message me for details of who can supply it in the UK for you.
    Last edited by Lateral; 15-04-2015 at 14:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Not wanting to put a spanner in the works, but moderators are banned in most of Europe, so won't be any help in reducing recoil.

Have a look at something like the Merkel Helix, with the short semi weigh barrel. Frankonia have this special at the moment, biased for driven boar

http://www.frankonia.de/Repetierb%C3...32&query=helix

Or if you see anything else of interest, message me for details of who can supply it in the UK for you.
    Hello, Thank you for the link.
    I know moderators are banned in a lot of Europe, hence the reason for stating moderator for use in the UK.
    I have shot in various countries in europe in the past, but I intend to do a bit more hence the quest.
    Thank you again,

I've had a Mauser M12 for a year or so now and it has been excellent. It's light, accurate and well made. Well worth a look.

A .308 with 180-gr RN vanilla Remington or Federal ammunition will work just fine at driven game ranges. No need to hyper-analyze premium bullets and loads.

Tikka T3 is a great rifle and a bargain in the USA, but I realize a lot of prices and availability of all rifles is different in the UK, so all I can speak to is the rifle, not the value over there. The T3 Lite is light, and the barrel is a good length (22.6 inches), with most of the weight out there for a smooth swing.

I would get open sights on any rifle for driven game, so for me, that means wanting more drop on the stock, and the Tikka may be too straight for quick shooting with open sights. The Sako Bavarian is perfect for me.

Other rifles which are good in .308 are the Winchester Model 70 Featherweight, and older rifles like the BSA and Husqvarna Mauser actions. You would have to fit on a set of sights to the Model 70 today, but many older Remington 700s came with iron sights.

5-15x scope is too honking big for driven game.
    1.5-6x42 is more like it.
    If you mount the scopes in QR rings, you can use two scopes, of course. You don't need to spend a fortune on a low-power scope. A $200 Bushnell 1.25-4x with 4A reticle will do just fine.

Hi Southern, thanks for your imput its appreciated.
    However you did read my post incorectly, I stated I would fit 1.5-5 x scope, not 5-15! I actualy have a 1.5-5x24 that I was going to fit.
    The info on ammo is useful, I have seen big boar dropped on the spot at 50mts with a 308, yet other hit in a similar fashon have done the runner, so using the correct ammo is as always important and getting recomendations is helpfull

I'm awaiting delivery of one of the Helix specials that Lateral linked to above - a 9.3x62 but with an additional .308 barrel - euro prices at the moment can ease the pain of opting for something that comes with all your requirements but might be above budget in the UK, rather than buying something cheaper at UK prices and then having to adapt it to your needs.

I recently took my current .308 on a driven shoot and found that Hornady 170gr flat point interlocks over 42gr of N150 was effective with very acceptable recoil. Plus point was that they were cheap as chips as they are not very fashionable at the moment.

As a slightly left field option; have you considered the Steyr Scout? It is discussed here. Steyr Scout or SM12SX ? (.308)

It may fulfill your requirements.

The tikka t3 lite battue appears to hit the bill. Short, light and enough magazine capacity. Synthetic will be cheap and durable in the rain. A good 308 in 180 bullet sighted in for 180 yards and you are set.
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle