Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new barrel

new barrel

l have a howa in 7mm/08, going to re barrel. don,t think ill shoot heavier than 150gr and its for stalking but do want target accuracy for my piece of mind. was going 22" with 1/10, any thoughts/ preferences on manufacture etc ?

Quote Originally Posted by jtl View Post
    l have a howa in 7mm/08, going to re barrel. don,t think ill shoot heavier than 150gr and its for stalking but do want target accuracy for my piece of mind. was going 22" with 1/10, any thoughts/ preferences on manufacture etc ?
    You know I have to ask: How does it shoot now??~Muir

hi muir, getting 2" at 200, but is very finicky and have not had the best results with a sellection of home loads. likes 145 seirras and nosler 150s but only at the mentioned level

That's great accuracy already mate.
    Groups are all well and good and I see how it helps with piece of mind but groups don't kill deer.
    Does she still hold MOA with the cold bore shot?

personally I'd bed it first , sort the trigger , check the free float and maybe shorten the barrel and recrown before I re-barrelled ?

the other thing I'd consider is getting a known 'good' shot to try it as well ?

good luck
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

+1 With tackb, and out of interest jtl Gotham east midlands ?

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    personally I'd bed it first , sort the trigger , check the free float and maybe shorten the barrel and recrown before I re-barrelled ?

the other thing I'd consider is getting a known 'good' shot to try it as well ?

good luck
    That would be my approach also.
    Bed the rifle in such a way that only the action is bedded, no part of the barrel. If you do change the barrel later the bedding will need no altering. I bed my rifles and F/TR rifles we make after that method.
    I noticed the Howa 1500 can be quite fussy about bedding.

2" at 200, 1" at 100....you are not too far off the mark.
    edi

I would have no hesitation in rebarreling a finnicky barrel, particularly when component supply is often iffy. I have seen great results with Border, Bartlein, Shilen , Kreiger and Lothar Walther but there are others of equal quality available such as Benchmark, Brux, Truflite and Pac nor. Personally I like a 20 inch barrel of relatively heavy contour when using a mod for a general purpose stalker and a longer tube for dedicated hill work but that's just me. 22 inch certainly isn't wrong at all.

I have a wild dog stock thats free floating but only has a 20" barrel so dont want to cut, Ive always got 1/2 min with home loads but cannot better what ive got with this thats why I think a rebarrel would be better. Any thoughts on depth of rifling from the cartridge breech as the howa only gives you 73mm of oal in the floor plate area.

Quote Originally Posted by jtl View Post
    ...Any thoughts on depth of rifling from the cartridge breech as the howa only gives you 73mm of oal in the floor plate area.
    To clarify, do you mean the throat of the chamber?
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me