Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venison burgers

Venison burgers

Sun is out and time to fire up the BBQ - can you share any good venison burger recipes?

Established Poster
    I made some recently with 10% black pudding and chopped wild garlic leaves - they were awesome

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bp-burger.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	919.9 KB 
ID:	55429

Nick

60/40 venison to pork shoulder. Mix well & add 1 cup milk powder to every 2 1/2lb meat. And use double the amount of herb/spice that you think you should? Rosemary, thyme, sage, black pepper, redcurrant all work well. As does juniper, apparently (I don't like the flavour so never use it) If you're planning on making the meat mixture the night before, add Cure1 at the recommended ratio? It really helps firm up the mix & helps stop the burgers falling apart. I never add rusk or minced onion, just a tablespoon of onion powder and a teaspoon of garlic powder per 2 1/2lbs of meat.

You can mess about with the spices, but if you use this recipe keep the ratios of milk powder the same
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

I use 60/40 venison/pork belly.
    Chopped onion, garlic, fresh chilli,sweated off in a little oil, plenty of ground, black pepper, sea salt, chopped, fresh, coriander, white of one egg.

Works well.

Steve.

I have tried various recipes in the past but these days tend to use a mix bought from tongmaster. Dead easy to use taste really good.

www.tongmaster.co.uk/

Tongmaster stuff tends to be pretty decent, right enough. I use a few of their mixes
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

which cut of the venison do you use?
    d

Sounds like everyone is adding pork/fat for moisture - can you create moist burgers with 100% venison?

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boghossian View Post
    Sounds like everyone is adding pork/fat for moisture - can you create moist burgers with 100% venison?
    I've had no luck using pure venison for sausages or burgers. The "problem" is that venison is very lean, so without using pork or similar it quickly dries out.

I remember some pure venison sausages that you could have used as tent pegs or crossbow bolts!
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Agreed, you need to add pork fat to make the burgers stick together. An egg or flour helps glue them but you still need pork fat.

I've given up on mincing machines now - they get bunged up with sinew and are a pain to clean. I just use a large chopping board and a very sharp large knife to dice the meat repeatedly for a few mins - works a treat.