Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Passes

Low Passes

The same friend, a Vietnam pilot, who sent me that link on the short documentary of the Spitfire pilots, followed up with this flying, a bit more modern, but no more dangerous than those brave young men going across The Channel 70+ years ago.

=======
    We all remember Tom Cruise in the Movie " TOP GUN" when he makes a low pass near the control tower and causes an officer to spill coffee down his shirt.

Well here are short clips of the top 10 low passes ever filmed ... and of course for nostalgia , let's see that Top Gun low pass again. Pay particular attention to the last shown low pass. It is number one. Watch the halo of water around the plane. It happened during a Blue Angels event over San Francisco several years ago. It was the pilot's last show with the team, so he had nothing to lose. Many of the boats in the bay lost windows to the sonic blast. It's a kick towatch. Number 3 was pretty impressive too.

I liked seeing the Blue Angles. I was at their winter base at NAF El Centro for 7 years. They would put on an air show for the locals that was spectacular.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    The same friend, a Vietnam pilot, who sent me that link on the short documentary of the Spitfire pilots, followed up with this flying, a bit more modern, but no more dangerous than those brave young men going across The Channel 70+ years ago.

=======
    We all remember Tom Cruise in the Movie " TOP GUN" when he makes a low pass near the control tower and causes an officer to spill coffee down his shirt.

Well here are short clips of the top 10 low passes ever filmed ... and of course for nostalgia , let's see that Top Gun low pass again. Pay particular attention to the last shown low pass. It is number one. Watch the halo of water around the plane. It happened during a Blue Angels event over San Francisco several years ago. It was the pilot's last show with the team, so he had nothing to lose. Many of the boats in the bay lost windows to the sonic blast. It's a kick towatch. Number 3 was pretty impressive too.

Number 3 is bonkers!!Surprised it didn't blow him over.
    ddave

I think this one is technically lower when compared to sea level

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I watched Sean Tucker's in-cockpit video of when he lost his propellor and crankshaft in the middle of a display practice. His passenger at the time, quite understandably, repeatedly asks if they're going to be okay without a prop. It wasn't a low pass, but by golly you quickly realise the skill these pilots have.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Goosebumps!
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

is that halo not the start of a sonic boom as they ride the edge of the sound barrier?

A few years ago, at the conclusion of a Nato exercise, a Hercules was doing low passes with the ramp down.
    One of the ground troops climbed on top of a vehicle and waved.
    He was hit by the ramp and killed.
    The pilot was court marshialled.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

This is my favourite low pass:

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I liked seeing the Blue Angles. I was at their winter base at NAF El Centro for 7 years. They would put on an air show for the locals that was spectacular.~Muir
    I am going to see them next week, at McGhee-Tyson.