Thread: Fluting & mods

Fluting & mods

Do you have to take fluting into consideration when buying a mod? I mean does having a fluted barrel limit choice of mod?

As far as I am a ware the fluting doesnt go the whole length of the barrel, and as the sitover type only rest on the barrel for support, the fluting shouldnt have any effect

Quote Originally Posted by stig View Post
    Do you have to take fluting into consideration when buying a mod? I mean does having a fluted barrel limit choice of mod?
    Stig, I have a Finnlight with a fluted barrel and a T8 fitted. The fluting does not go to the end of the barrel, it is just plain for the last inch or so. Ideal for threading. The bushing on the back of the mod works fine and sits nice and snug on the barrel.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Hi Stig,

I have a Sauer 202 Outback in 0.243" cal. fitted with a T8 mod. - 14x1 thread and 2mm clearance shoulder. As Flytie says the fluting on the barrel does not go all the way to the end, leaving a 1" plain piece before the muzzle suitable for a cut thread and the rear of the mod fits snugly on the barrel using a machined Delrin bush. The only thing you can't have with a fluted barrel is a spigot fitment which helps align the moderator - see "Jackson Rifles" website for details.

My only advice would be to go to a good gunsmith who will advise you on the best thread size/type and fitment to suite your rifle.

Willie
    Last edited by Willie; 05-04-2010 at 15:22.