Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walking stick calculations

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)

Walking stick calculations

Ok lads

I am thinking of making, well training to, make myself a walking stick for the time when I'm back up and about ,

Its not a things have ever made just as a support I have my stalking sticks and shooting sticks but just wanted to ask if there is a correct way to measure this so that I do it correctly ,

I also think a nice simple available wood choice would be helpful so that it can be found easily and what to use as a handle if I go that route,it's to serve as a reminder that I can't just start jumping about like an idiot and I need it to remind me that I need to take care,

Any ideas lads
    Ch
    eers
    Bob
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Bob
    I'm sure your physio will advise whether to use a stick or not, & how to use it/them. After my ACL reconstruction, I was told if I used one, to use it in the hand opposite to the bad knee. That way you weight the bad side more naturally.
    The important thing is to give you a steady support without significant bias so that you get stronger evenly on both sides. It should give you more confidence than support!
    The choice of length should mean you don't have to lean towards the stick to get support. Make it too long & you can try it & cut it shorter to suit what you feel comfortable.
    I use a stick when I'm feeling rough & my "go to" one is a long one that comes up to my shoulder - I use it two handed in the rough stuff & the length helps when going down hill. It is also useful for supporting the binoculars for spotting while resting.
    Holly & hazel make good sticks. - Trouble is now is the wrong time to cut them as the sap has risen for this year.

Get fit quick!

Ian

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    Holly & hazel make good sticks. - Trouble is now is the wrong time to cut them as the sap has risen for this year.
    You've not heard the old saying then; when's a good time to cut a straight stick? When you see it!

If I make thumb sticks I normally reckon the length to be equal to the height from the floor to the armpit,though others say from the floor to the base of the sternum.

For a walking stick I measure from the floor to the wrist.

Bob, if you want any bits and pieces for stickmaking - handles, spacers, ferrules, etc - feel free to drop me a PM.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Blog Entries
    Thank you both so much,

I will take both replies and find something right for me I think a thumb stick is where I'll end up, I was unsure of where to measure to, IE: armpit or another area,

Willie, I'll drop you a pm as soon as I have bit of holly or hazel from someone's stock, would prefare a thumb V shape rather than a round/ ball or flat top type, not sure what to use on the base as its to not only cover soft ground but hard surfaces when back at the castle,

Cheers lads I'll try and keep the wife sweet in order to get the bits together,

Regards

Bob
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Bob

This type of handle?

O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

If you need antler for a thumb stick, pm me. I have plenty.

Something along these lines, maybe?

Rule of thumb , the vee of the breastbone is about right.

If making a cane height stick, as opposed to a staff, the break of the wrist is a good starting height.

Again, should you need antler, please ask.

Steve.

sweet chestnut light strong and bendable
    DONT START

Regular Poster
    Where there are more Muntjac than you can shake a stick at
    Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    not sure what to use on the base as its to not only cover soft ground but hard surfaces when back at the castle
    Bob, I have a few well seasoned hazel, ash, elder shanks, should you require, just shoot me a pm and I'll see if there's one to fit and mail it to you.

I usually fit a steel hiking spike to my walking / working / shooting sticks but these days you can get a high impact rubberised combination type spike / ferrule, like this (but probably not this price, can't remember where I got the last one from) : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350913746073?clk_rvr_id=816571847705&rmvSB=true

best wishes, S.

my fizo told me to set my sticks at one thumb under your belt as you can rest without straining your shoulder if to high . hazel is just fine bob 1" pole near as . I also have a horthorn and a dog rose that is just the ticket . but if you have not got one from last year get a mountain shock walking stick as they are good for that knee as they are like a shock absorber I made the handle out of two 50cal shells filled with lead if you wish something diff lol .sure one of the stick lads has some blacks for you mty I use a spent 30cal shell base for the end or a 12g knock the primer out a rubber glue n screw it on

hope your on the mend feller

paul

Blog Entries
    Thanks ads, just had a bit f a bad day pain wise so I will drop you some pms in the morrow,

Some very nice people frequent this site, I just hope that I can return the favour to as many apsi can at some point,

Just took the morphine so will be on mars with John Wayne and elvis all three of us carrying chocolate handguns and pastic ammo real soon

Obo