Thread: Scope and mount problems

Cool Scope and mount problems

I've now got 3 rifles with the scopes at either windage or elevation on their their full travel. The latest one is my T3 varmint fitted with a weaver rail and a S&B scope.
    What a pain!

Switch to a windage adjustable base like the Leupold/Burris/Redfield type and you'll have one problem fixed. As to the elevation: Shim or get a small bit of glass.~Muir

Dodgyrog - I am glad I am not the only one with this problem. I have Weaver bases on my 260 and got Burris Signature rings from JJK which sorted the problem. The offset inserts can be used to correct elevation or windage or with care, both.

http://www.jjkshootingsupplies.co.uk...gh-420585/554/

In an ideal world I would use these bases and rings on all my rifles. The other problem I found when I had this problem was that no-one that I went to for advice thought it was a problem.
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 04-04-2010 at 19:08.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyrog View Post
    I've now got 3 rifles with the scopes at either windage or elevation on their their full travel. The latest one is my T3 varmint fitted with a weaver rail and a S&B scope.
    What a pain!
    I have seen this a number of times on different rifles/scopes, my own Howa with a S&B scope fitted had insufficient depression to get a 100 yards zero, I put shims under the rear mount, then lapped the rings in with a 30mm lapping bar so I was not bending the scope tube. A lot of work to get it right, I now have a set of Burris mounts with off set insets just got to get round to fitting them.

The other week my mate brought along a new rifle to stalk with, his plan was to zero at the ground before using it that night, the trouble was he was running out of windage adjustment when trying to zero it, we swapped the bases and rings round, back to front and turned them 180 degrees (this can sometimes help with windage problems) to no avail. I found a old 223 case in the truck, I cut it up with a junior hacksaw and made a shim out of the brass, with out lapping this could have marked the scope tube but he thought it was worth it to get a weekend stalking in.

ATB

Tahr

Thar - Snap. In both instances where I had a problem it was the rear base that needed shimmed up and like you I tried swapping the mounts and bases around to get some improvement.

SD Regular
    I think that the problem is in the mounts although it may be in the 'scope. What mounts do you use?

Hmmmm and they all tell us how wonder CNC machining is . Just goes to show it ain't all it's cracked up to be.

1 of the problem rifles is a Tikka T3 in .222 fitted with Optilock mounts and Leupold scope - obviously not cheap tat.
    I also have a set of Apel (EAW) mounts for a CZ 550 which wont fit the dovetail on the rifle and Apel's response - use a file!
    One wonders what happened to quality assurance?

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyrog View Post
    1 of the problem rifles is a Tikka T3 in .222 fitted with Optilock mounts and Leupold scope - obviously not cheap tat.
    I also have a set of Apel (EAW) mounts for a CZ 550 which wont fit the dovetail on the rifle and Apel's response - use a file!
    One wonders what happened to quality assurance?
    It costs too much for the accountants to swallow that's what. All hail the great god profit!