Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Humane Animal Dispatch

Humane Animal Dispatch

What are your thoughts about using a captive bolt stunner on an injured deer to the top of the head between or just behind the antlers, bearing in mind that the captive bolt stunner must be in firm contact with the animal at the time of firing?

Do you think the practice of stunning at the top of the head rather than the usual forehead position could be dangerous on antlered animals?
    How's your end of the gene pool today?

It is the most assured way of getting an antler in the face, if only due to the deer reacting to the impact..you are too close to the animal ..firearm/shotgun everytime.IMHO

I agree, captive bolts are for abattoirs. I'm not a fan of having to stir the bolt around in the brain once you've fired it either. Yuk
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

+1 to the above - antlers are lethal weapons and wounded animals full of adrenalin are very strong - a roe buck is much stronger than a domestic sheep of equivalent size, and a stag is much bigger.

Also so from a humane point of view, with a rifle or shotgun you don't have to get very close to put it out of its misery, and that can only help relieve stress.

Captive bolts are designed for domestic animals that are used to being handled.

jut wonder how many on here own or have access to a captive bolt gun

firearm or shotgun for me

Quote Originally Posted by billh View Post
    What are your thoughts about using a captive bolt stunner on an injured deer to the top of the head between or just behind the antlers, bearing in mind that the captive bolt stunner must be in firm contact with the animal at the time of firing?

Do you think the practice of stunning at the top of the head rather than the usual forehead position could be dangerous on antlered animals?
    It's just the same as horned sheep or cattle with horns. If an animal is injured and thinks your a threat to them they will have a go at you

Quote Originally Posted by billh View Post

I was called out today by Hampshire police to a deer right next to the A339, it was in a ditch in the suburbs with lots of traffic about lunch time, after a look at the roe buck it looked very alert with head up,
    dont think I would have liked to tackle it with a captive bolt.....
    police officers closed the road for 30 seconds or so and after checking a safe back stop dispatched the buck with a 12 g at about 8-10 feet,
    I bit messy but dead is dead and job done very humanely.

UKDTR
    Deer track and recovery
    Free of charge and confidential service

I've always though that a moderated .410 may be the safest and most effective weapon for humane dispatch . Anyone use one ?

JR
    " not the end of the world, - - but you can see it from here ! "

Quote Originally Posted by JRoe View Post
    I've always though that a moderated .410 may be the safest and most effective weapon for humane dispatch . Anyone use one ?

JR
    No,but have used 12g Hushpower on occasion with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JRoe View Post

JR
    Yes indeed,a Bretton- Gaucher bolt action single shot...very effective and discreet!