Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sako 75 iv action scope mounting

Sako 75 iv action scope mounting

Afternoon all
    I have a sako 75 iv action coming soon, and am looking at different scope mounts has anyone ever used a rail mount scope?
    thanks

Nope, just good old Optilocks
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Same here, I've had my 75 about 11 years. Fitted Optilocks from brand new, haven't touched them since. Checked the screws etc whenever I've suspected a shift in my zero and never ever found anything to have worked loose in all that time. If it aint broke.....
    Last edited by leej; 19-04-2015 at 13:47.

I have a picattiny rail fitted on my 25 06, an alan rhone one ,however my 30 06 is fitted with optilocs , I had issues with my 25 being that I was running out of side adjustment , put the picattiny on and it was centralised again , shooting .5 moa or better , but in hind sight I feel if I had taken the recoil pin off the optilocks it would have solved the problem and saved a bob or two in the process , the pin stopped the dovetail pushing all the way up so it was a tight fit , then when I tighted the allan key up it pulled it to one side , if that makes sense , perhaps the wrong bases for it ?

I've never felt the need for anything other than Optilocks on my four SAKOs.

Optilocks are outstanding mounts for the Sako, i've never used anything else for years and never had any problems whatsoever. The only improvements they could make would be to have a keyway or pin to make it easier to line up the rings and bases as you tighten them (I have a method for this though) and, make an insert to allow 1"tubed scopes to be used in 300mm rings.

Blog Entries
    Continuing the theme then.

Optilocks are as good as you will get.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

I'm going to amend the mould and say the 1 piece optilock ringmounts are in my experience better than the 2 piece, if a little constrained in height options.
    The 2 piece are that little extra bit fiddly but good nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Milligan View Post
    I'm going to amend the mould and say the 1 piece optilock ringmounts are in my experience better than the 2 piece, if a little constrained in height options.
    The 2 piece are that little extra bit fiddly but good nonetheless.
    I agree. The largest scope I've put on a sporter-barreled rifle using the simple and elegant combined ring/mount is a 30mmtube/50mm obj specimen, and it only just fits. They're certainly fine for 6x42s on my rifles.

No point IMHO in using the separate rings/bases unless you have to; or you already own them, of course.

At the risk of being boring, I have optilocks on 4 75's and wouldn't choose anything else.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.