Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pro's only- Questions a person needs to ask?

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)

Pro's only- Questions a person needs to ask?

Somebody has requested that a list of questions that somebody should ask a pro be put up.

I'll start

1. How much per stalk?
    2. Is there a limit on animals per stalk?
    3. Is there a shot fee?
    4. Is there a miss fee?
    5. Will I be charged for a damaged carcass?
    6. Will there be a finding fee for a lost animal?
    7. Will there be a fee for a hit but lost animal?
    8. Can I buy the meat? How much per KG?
    9. How many did you cull last year?
    10. Can you send me a list of trophy fees?
    11. Will I be charged if I see an animal and decide not to shoot it?

Carry on.............
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

How long is a stalk, not distance but time, is quite an important question to ask too.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    What's the cost of using the "estate rifle"?
    What's the cost of a witnessed stalk?
    Is there a discount or loyalty bonus for booking multiple stalks?
    What deer species are we likely to see?
    Will it be high seat or "walk and stalk"?
    Will I be accompanied by a guide or left to my own devices?
    If I shoot a beast at the guide's request, what will I be charged?
    Is shooting foxes compulsory or optional?
    Can I bring my own dog?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Do you cater for novices ?

Will it bother you if I start telling you how we should get in to a group of deer on ground you have been stalking for over 20 years, even though I have only shot 2 deer in my life?

Will it bother you if I ask you a million different questions by phone, text, email, PM and open forum. Try to get mates rates despite the fact that we've never met. Turn up half an hour late for a morning stalk. Use twenty estate rounds on the check zero that should take three. Cancel the booking by text an hour before its due to start. Tell me half way through an evening stalk that you have to be back in twenty minutes so that you can get to the school play in time. Book a DSC2 stalk despite the fact that I am nowhere near the required standard despite having assured me otherwise. Book places for two guests then turn up with three. Get me to arrange B&B (again at mates rates obviously) then decide to stay with your brother's bosses aunts sister down the road. Etc

It may suprise you to know that there are many more 'bad' guests out there than 'bad' stalkers in my experience. Have you ever heard me moan about it? No, because its not the done thing, we just accept all of the above examples (plus many more) as part of the job. The customer is always right.

Quote Originally Posted by Glyn 1 View Post
    Will it bother you if I ask you a million different questions by phone, text, email, PM and open forum. Try to get mates rates despite the fact that we've never met. Turn up half an hour late for a morning stalk. Use twenty estate rounds on the check zero that should take three. Cancel the booking by text an hour before its due to start. Tell me half way through an evening stalk that you have to be back in twenty minutes so that you can get to the school play in time. Book a DSC2 stalk despite the fact that I am nowhere near the required standard despite having assured me otherwise. Book places for two guests then turn up with three. Get me to arrange B&B (again at mates rates obviously) then decide to stay with your brother's bosses aunts sister down the road. Etc

It may suprise you to know that there are many more 'bad' guests out there than 'bad' stalkers in my experience. Have you ever heard me moan about it? No, because its not the done thing, we just accept all of the above examples (plus many more) as part of the job. The customer is always right.
    Hmm, a bit like any other business then ! Give them a price for the work stipulated by them only to find they want to alter / add to the spec part way through. That's business, you have to live with it.

The one thing every one forgets to ask ,
    Is your deer a managed cull/feed program,
    is it Parked-hill or woodland deer?
    Do you regularly spot deer and keep numbers on your ground?

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    What's the cost of using the "estate rifle"?
    That's a grey area.... It's actually illegal to hire a firearm, so it would need to be a hidden cost (not itemised on an invoice). Yet it's perfectly legal to borrow a firearm under supervision of course. Most guides I've met just charge for the rounds used.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

"Are you a grumpy *******?"