Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clients only? What a person/client wants?

Clients only? What a person/client wants?

Please, don't hold back on expectations in regards to access, success & cost.

Sharkey
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."

Only ever been out with a guide a handful of times. But an absolute must have IMO is an abundance of deer. I would expect to at least see animals at least once during a morning and evening days stalking, and also plenty of sign throughout. If a guide takes clients around a deer desert , or at least ground with very low numbers of deer, then he should not be guiding, unless a: this is made known to the client and is reflected in the charges, or b: those few deer are trophy quality and that is what the client explicitly wants.

I have so far been lucky with my few trips with commercial stalkers in that I have always seen plenty of deer, in fact when down in south I was initially surprised just how many deer there were!!

I don't pay to stalk with guides, but I think what everyone wants is summed up in one word.

TRANSPARENCY

Transparency of costs
    Transparency in regards to success
    Transparency in relation to access

Mudman, I am sorry but even in deer utopias you can still not lay an eye on a deer but know hey are there in large numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post
    Only ever been out with a guide a handful of times. But an absolute must have IMO is an abundance of deer. I would expect to at least see animals at least once during a morning and evening days stalking, and also plenty of sign throughout. If a guide takes clients around a deer desert , or at least ground with very low numbers of deer, then he should not be guiding, unless a: this is made known to the client and is reflected in the charges, or b: those few deer are trophy quality and that is what the client explicitly wants.

I have so far been lucky with my few trips with commercial stalkers in that I have always seen plenty of deer, in fact when down in south I was initially surprised just how many deer there were!!
    Can understand the desirability of this, but assume that it would simply lead to high seats overlooking feed sites.

Quote Originally Posted by stalker.308 View Post
    I don't pay to stalk with guides, but I think what everyone wants is summed up in one word.

TRANSPARENCY

Transparency of costs
    Transparency in regards to success
    Transparency in relation to access

I like transparency too, hence this thread.
    So what are "people" prepared to pay for success & access? How is it measured/valued by different folk & the British culture at large? Is it only about numbers?
    We have already seen one opinion about value & expectations but I'm sure there is still many other relevant views about this.

For "transparency". I have already stated on another thread that I consider paid stalking in Britain to be very very cheep (undervalued?) relative to the rest of the world & I am hoping to gain some insight into why this is.

Sharkey
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."

Quote Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
    For "transparency". I have already stated on another thread that I consider paid stalking in Britain to be very very cheep (undervalued?) relative to the rest of the world & I am hoping to gain some insight into why this is.

Sharkey
    Never stalked abroad but is it possible to do a morning or afternoon stalk in Aus, or are the distances so great that this is not really practicable?

Quote Originally Posted by howa243 View Post
    Can understand the desirability of this, but assume that it would simply lead to high seats overlooking feed sites.
    Quite possibly but it depends on why the client is there in the first place.... For me, Yes I enjoy the stalk or sit (i'm happy with either,) I like the adrenaline rush when you see a deer in the corner of your eye and I love the craic.. but personally, the over riding reason I hunt is so I can harvest my own free range red meat (has been ever since I cringed through Kill It, Cook It, Eat It!)

I have been out on numerous occasions with supposedly excellent (and expensive) guides and seen nothing at all (with no apology or attempt to give back value for money... should have learned but went back for more.... and again!!) not only is that incredibly demoralising but then makes the free range meat extortionately expensive (my wife's venison pies must be worth 300 each!!)

I am not nave enough to think every outing should result in meat in the freezer (I've been a member of 2 FC syndicates so am used to seeing nothing but that is a totally different proposition.) But if one is paying a guide 70-100 then it would be anticipated that he knew where his deer were and could give an upward of 75% chance of getting a shot off.. If he cant do that then he needs to find another occupation or radically amend his fee structure..

I have also been out with one or two guides who do know where their deer are and will move heaven and earth to put one in front of you (three sometimes!!! and when they should be in bed ill!!! ain't that right Mr Solway Stalker ) and it is people like that who I don't mind emptying my wallet for..

The big issue I see with most guides/stalkers is that there is no real incentive to do homework/plan/prepare/graft so they can be almost sure of providing a target... I wouldn't be in business long If I charged 60 an hour and didn't get results... now 20 an hour and another 40 if I get it right is more like it but perversely guides seem to want to charge 70-120 an outing and then another 40 if you make your stick go bang and then another 30 if you want the meat so one can be staring at the thick end of 200 for a couple of hours walk and 10lbs of meat in the freezer.. I appreciate there are overheads, as there are in most industries, but come on guys... 40 an outing and then the rest if you prove you can do the job... I wouldn't mind paying 150-200 if I have a beast in the back of my truck on the way home but, bearing in mind, most of us would book a morning and evening together making it potentially 240 for a nice walk.. (some stalkers, who shall remain nameless, insist on it and also back you into a corner on their own accommodation in the process making it 300 for a day out.) and that's if nothing is in the bag... and I haven't even mentioned 'trophy fees' which could potentially push fees towards a grand! Not san issue if that's what you are into and actually get the chance to shoot.. I cant think of many other hobbies out there cost that much!!

The problem is that, whilst stalking is becoming ever more popular, the prices for paid stalks are becoming unsustainable and at some point, particularly if success rates aren't high, the bubble will burst.. a lot of the issue is that most stalking is transient from what I can see, so most guides don't need to worry about generating too much repeat business, just attracting new business... I earn a decent living and could only afford to do it a couple of times a year on a paid basis... get to 3 outings a year and I'm almost looking at family holiday prices... 2 outings a year!! not much of a hobby!

You asked! lol
    Last edited by Vipa; 20-04-2015 at 15:43.

I have never hear of a morning or afternoon stalk, but I know fishing guides do this sort of thing close to our urban centres. Taking into account the exchange rate they are about three times more for public, land based fishing (no boats or access/trespass fees, etc) than he prices I've seen quoted for "stalking" in the UK. Guiding rates for hunting down here would start at $350 per day & go up from there depending on the demand. This wouldn't include anything other than the guide & the trespass, not the game. A basic weekend "father & son" hunt including a couple of meat animals & a night in the bush would start at about $1000 on average.

Sharkey
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."

Quote Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
    I have never hear of a morning or afternoon stalk, but I know fishing guides do this sort of thing close to our urban centres. Taking into account the exchange rate they are about three times more for public, land based fishing (no boats or access/trespass fees, etc) than he prices I've seen quoted for "stalking" in the UK. Guiding rates for hunting down here would start at $350 per day & go up from there depending on the demand. This wouldn't include anything other than the guide & the trespass, not the game. A basic weekend "father & son" hunt including a couple of meat animals & a night in the bush would start at about $1000 on average.
    Though to be fair, just about everything I encountered in Australia was eye-wateringly expensive in comparison to what we're used to. 7.00 for a pint of beer...

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Though to be fair, just about everything I encountered in Australia was eye-wateringly expensive in comparison to what we're used to. 7.00 for a pint of beer...
    Not my experience. I can still get a "schooner" down at the RSL (Returned Service League) for $3.50 (1.75 pound?) & even less in happy hour. Yes, If you frequent the tourist spots you'll get served the cat pi$$ (Fosters) & pay the "tourist tax". No one in Australia drinks Fosters, I don't think they even try to sell it here any more. The first thing that I hear from all the pommies I meet who come here is how good & how cheap the food is. Our housing in most major cities is unreasonably expensive though.

Yes, our hunting & fishing, although even more accessible IMO for Mr Average is more expensive than what you guys seem to pay. I'm interested in why this is.

Sharkey
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."