Wild dogs in Australia.

FrenchieBoy

I just came across this video on youtube. Even though it is not very relevent to us in the UK I thought it was very interesting to watch, especially the way in which it really does highlight the damage that these wild dogs can do to a farmers livestock and livelyhood.
I suspect that this is a video that the "antis" would not want you to see!
All thought and comments are welcome!

I'm struggling to see this as anything more than a set up.

Cattle die of natural causes all the time & those bone piles certainly don't look like dog kills ( bones too contained in a small area) & did any one see the dogs or him shoot those "three!" with that couple of bursts? I live with warrigals (not just yellow dogs) & also shoot a "few" & I am very sceptical about this video.

Sharkey

I'm struggling to see this as anything more than a set up. Cattle die of natural causes all the time & those bone piles certainly don't look like dog kills ( bones too contained in a small area) & did any one see the dogs or him shoot those "three!" with that couple of bursts? I live with warrigals (not just yellow dogs) & also shoot a "few" & I am very sceptical about this video. Sharkey
Took the words right out of my mouth, apart from the same 'dog' shown twice there also bones shown twice.
This may well be a set up to give us some idea of what might happen.
But back in the fifties there was a recruiting drive in UK for 'Fence Men' to patrol and repair fences that could involve weeks or even months in a saddle, not many choppers about then, and 'Dingo Controllers' so he may have got the idea from someone mentioning 'the old days'
It was around the same time as the £25 passage to Australia for fit young men with families.
My father did a bit of digging with a view to us all going over but one of my sisters spent some time as an evaqueee with a 'posh' family and when we all got back together all she wanted to do was spend time in a bath ! and the thought of 'going to school on a horse was just unthinkable'
As it had to be a family decision we didn't go, so just think, that could have been me making a similar video if things had been different.

I've just watched the video twice more after reading the comments on this thread and I can see where the scepticism and doubts is coming from - Particularly as he claims to have shot 3 dogs but only shows one of them! (If it had been me who killed 3 wild dogs in one "burst of fire" I would have shown all three lined up on the ground in much the same was that many of the fox shooters on this site show their multiple kill foxes lined up on the ground after a "good and successful nights lamping") If this is some sort of a "set up" (Which it might well be - Obviously I don't know as I wasn't there and was only going by "first inpressions" after watching the video once) maybe if there are any of you guys from "down under" who do any "wild dog control" you could give us a truer/honest insight on how you go about dealing with these pests(?) and how seriously they can damage the landowners/farmers livestock and livelyhoods and how serious the "wild dog problems" are in Australia please.

looks like a fox.

Sorry Artschool, you've lost me on that one mate (Not hard to do, I know)! - Are you refering to the way that the bones are scattered on the ground looking like it has been done by a fox after it has maybe come across a "fallen beast", or are you refering to the neck shot carcass that is shown on the video looking like a fox?

I've just watched the video twice more after reading the comments on this thread and I can see where the scepticism and doubts is coming from - Particularly as he claims to have shot 3 dogs but only shows one of them! (If it had been me who killed 3 wild dogs in one "burst of fire" I would have shown all three lined up on the ground in much the same was that many of the fox shooters on this site show their multiple kill foxes lined up on the ground after a "good and successful nights lamping") If this is some sort of a "set up" (Which it might well be - Obviously I don't know as I wasn't there and was only going by "first inpressions" after watching the video once) maybe if there are any of you guys from "down under" who do any "wild dog control" you could give us a truer/honest insight on how you go about dealing with these pests(?) and how seriously they can damage the landowners/farmers livestock and livelyhoods and how serious the "wild dog problems" are in Australia please.

The problem will vary from area to area. In my area the stock killers resemble domestic dogs & I can't recall ever having problems with "yellow dogs" although others will no doubt have had different experiences with this. I haven't had too many losses from dogs in the last year but the previous year I lost over 80 animals & these events were almost entirely due to lost pig dogs, as you can imagine they weren't to hard to dispatch.

IMO the best way to kill the really wild warrigals is by experienced trappers. Laying well thought out traps. Clowns running around like the bloke in this video only educate the dogs & make them harder to get next time. I have been successful occasionally by taking advantage of opportunities that present by pure luck (having a gun handy) or by spending several evenings sitting over kills (never getting close or leaving scent near them) & then shooting them from a few hundred yards (longest shots I've taken on animals). Chasing dogs up a hill in bush like that is folly IMO. Wild dogs are generally a lot more cryptic than deer, even sambar.

Sharkey

Why does it show the same shooting and the same dog twice? Seems like a 3 minute video at best to me and that guy is a top throbber!

The guy is a throbber, how on earth did you come to that conclusion?

Well if everyone needs to see three dead in row, here they are.

Hey guys, I didn't intend to start World War Three! All i asked for was an insight from anyone who does have to deal with Australian Wild Dogs and what sort of a problem they can cause to farmers. I believe that Sharley has answered that in a reasonable manner in his post (Post No. 9)

Sorry Artschool, you've lost me on that one mate (Not hard to do, I know)! - Are you refering to the way that the bones are scattered on the ground looking like it has been done by a fox after it has maybe come across a "fallen beast", or are you refering to the neck shot carcass that is shown on the video looking like a fox?

just that its called a wild dog but looks not to dissimilar in size to a fox.

Back