Thread: How to store deer you have shot ?

How to store deer you have shot ?

Hi all

Am looking at going up to a piece I am on in Scotland next weekend and just wondering how people on here recommend handling deer that they shoot when they are gone for a few days.

I will be stopping in a B&B and then going to the ground for a few morning / evening stalks.

My way of thinking was for any I shoot gralloch them and then take off the head / legs and tie up in the dense trees in a deer sack.

Didnt fancy leaving em in the vehicle in case it warms up and then I planned to fetch em back to the vehicle on the last stalk and drive home.

Any other advice / tips welcome. Also wondering what people do when they go up to scotland in the summer months and you dont have a chiller, etc ?

Cheers

tikka_69

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by tikka_69 View Post
    Hi all

Am looking at going up to a piece I am on in Scotland next weekend and just wondering how people on here recommend handling deer that they shoot when they are gone for a few days.

I will be stopping in a B&B and then going to the ground for a few morning / evening stalks.

My way of thinking was for any I shoot gralloch them and then take off the head / legs and tie up in the dense trees in a deer sack.

Didnt fancy leaving em in the vehicle in case it warms up and then I planned to fetch em back to the vehicle on the last stalk and drive home.

Any other advice / tips welcome. Also wondering what people do when they go up to scotland in the summer months and you dont have a chiller, etc ?

Cheers

tikka_69
    We have a plastic 50 gallon water butt that is dug in at the side of a running stream ,its got a plywood top and is internally lined with Kingspan then covered over with aluminium roof insulation matt . it holds up to 4 roe deer and no matter what air temp it gets the ground temp never rises above 5degrees we can keep deer in it at least 3/4 days

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    Paul

Get yerself a carcass tray and go buy a dozen freezer blocks and a coolbag, you can put a couple of blocks in each deer you shoot, replace them as they melt.

steve

how to store deer you shot

buy bags of ice cubes or freeze loads of large plastic bottles filled with water ,they last for days
    Last edited by poppins; 04-04-2010 at 21:39. Reason: missed out the word or

If you are a lucky B*****d and keep ending up with "too many deer" then you should recce the local eateries. They may be in a position to offer storage (chilled) and meals in lieu of a carcass/part there of.

Stan

if you go to Costco they have a HUGE cooler box, con't remember how much but it was not expensive, will hold 2 or 3 roe and keep them cold for days if you use cooler packs or frozen bottles

Insulated plastic shipping crate and 1 litre pre frozen coke bottle 2/3rds filled with water. Bung 1 or 2 inside each carcase and remember to keep the lid on the crate