Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with bolt

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries

Problems with bolt

I am having trouble cycling my rifle. When I cycle unfired cartridges there isn't a problem, they cycle fine. As soon as I have fired a round the bolt is sticking and not moving backwards. Today it got to the point where I couldn't move the bolt back at all. It took a lot of my strength
    to cycle a few rounds today.

any ideas what the problem could be and potential solution?

Factory rounds or home loads?

Home loads or factory mate?

If home loads you could be way past safe pressures but you'd have probably noticed before now.

I'd get the headspace checked mate. That'd be my first point of call. I'm not a gunsmith but one will be along shortly I'm sure
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Have a look in the chamber with a magnifying glass and a light - it maybe you have a slight burr or dent in there that the expanded fired case is sticking on? (unfired would cycle easily / normally)
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    Factory loads....magnifying glass, hmmmm, better have a rummage in the science prep room tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by joed View Post
    Factory loads....magnifying glass, hmmmm, better have a rummage in the science prep room tomorrow
    - or just have a look and see if there's any sign of a snag on the spent cases once you do manage to eject them - it happened in a colleagues rifle after he (I'm convinced, he denies) managed to damage it with a cleaning rod. Believe it's a fairly common cause especially if it 'just' starts happening....

Ctrl-Alt FACT

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    There isn't anything noticeable on the spent cases in terms of snagging. I will go and pester the Lab tech's for a magnifying glass as I don't have one and do an inspection...any ideas of what can be done to solve it?

Quote Originally Posted by joed View Post
    There isn't anything noticeable on the spent cases in terms of snagging. I will go and pester the Lab tech's for a magnifying glass as I don't have one and do an inspection...any ideas of what can be done to solve it?
    In the case of my colleague it was a gunsmith / de-burr, however it was done the same day and not expensive.

Have you you noticed it start happening since you cleaned it (patch & rod etc) or has anything abrasive gotten into the action?

Ctrl-Alt FACT

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    It has been a bit sticky for a while, I'd almost go so far as to say since I got it...2nd or 3rd hand - but this evening it was the worst its been. I have cleaned it after firing today, I may go and fire again tomorrow and see if the cleaning has helped or hindered....now to find a gunsmith near me

Also - not sure what you're shooting - but check the locking lugs for damage and lug recesses for crud / oil build-up etc.

And - is chamber clean and dry as a whistle? Bit of oil in there could cause sticking too - any discolouration on the case neck? I run mine very dry to avoid build up of any kind....

Ctrl-Alt FACT