can a non uk residant hold a SGC in the uk

gmorrice96

hi folks,

a work colleague of mine has been assigned to a project here in the UK for around 2 years. he is a keen clay pigeon shooter, having previously belonged to a club in Holland where he comes from. can he apply for a SGC here in the UK and hold a shotgun in his house here? he has been here for only a couple of months but as I say will be here for around 2 years. we all know how much you can save by using your own gun and cartridges for clay shooting, not to mention the benefit of having your own well fitted gun.

any advice welcome.

cheers

My advice would be to talk to your/his local firearms licensing department. I don't see why he can't have a UK SGC if he is living here. I imagine he would simply complete the application like everyone else. Another route might be for him to obtain a European Firearms pass? If he's all legal in Holland, presumably he can use his Dutch certification and an EU Pass over here? However, that's all just supposition, so talk to your FEO and get the good/bad news direct from the horse's mouth ...

My advice would be to talk to your/his local firearms licensing department. I don't see why he can't have a UK SGC if he is living here. I imagine he would simply complete the application like everyone else. Another route might be for him to obtain a European Firearms pass? If he's all legal in Holland, presumably he can use his Dutch certification and an EU Pass over here? However, that's all just supposition, so talk to your FEO and get the good/bad news direct from the horse's mouth ...

Thats the best and most sensible advice I have seen here for a long time
if you have a question about licencing, your local Fireams Dept is the place to go for the correct answers

hi folks,

a work colleague of mine has been assigned to a project here in the UK for around 2 years. he is a keen clay pigeon shooter, having previously belonged to a club in Holland where he comes from. can he apply for a SGC here in the UK and hold a shotgun in his house here? he has been here for only a couple of months but as I say will be here for around 2 years. we all know how much you can save by using your own gun and cartridges for clay shooting, not to mention the benefit of having your own well fitted gun.

any advice welcome.

cheers

In my previous life as a firearms licensing manager, this issue arose on several occasions. The most common difficulty for someone in your colleague's situation was that they could not provide a counter-signatory who had known them for two years. If you are able to provide a counter-signature for your colleague, then he can apply for a shotgun certificate in the normal manner.
Another possible option is for you to act as 'sponsor' and apply for a British Visitor's Permit (BVP) on his behalf. You would need to supply a copy of his European Firearms Pass to do this. Police forces can issue a BVP for a year if they are willing to do so. So it would be worth a call to them first.
If you took this option the BVP would need renewing after the first year.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Back