Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tried and tested 270 rounds? For roe and red

Tried and tested 270 rounds? For roe and red

lads looking for any feedback for tried and tested bullet heads for roe and red, recently went from
    factory rounds to 130gr sst homeloads and after shooting a couple of roe with them im not impressed with their lack of expansion. I will use the rest of the bullet heads up on red deer later on the year and they group great with the load but I need another bullet for roe anybody any favourites before I buy more I might not be impressed with?

Quote Originally Posted by Lakies View Post
    lads looking for any feedback for tried and tested bullet heads for roe and red, recently went from
    factory rounds to 130gr sst homeloads and after shooting a couple of roe with them im not impressed with their lack of expansion. I will use the rest of the bullet heads up on red deer later on the year and they group great with the load but I need another bullet for roe anybody any favourites before I buy more I might not be impressed with?
    SST bullets not expanding. Are you pushing them fast enough, or too fast? I've used 139gr 7mm on roe and fallow and they did the job very well. .270 is a marmite round, allways got talked out of one as I like to get close as I can.

130 Nosler Partitions, used on Roe /Fallow/ Reds, .270 Winchester, 59.5 grains H4831 safe in my rifle.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

They are loaded 59gr 4831, dont know how fast they are going as don't have a chrono but out of all the test loads that load grouped best, I'll use them up on red but I'd rather find a bullet that I could find a load and use it as an all round bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakies View Post
    They are loaded 59gr 4831, dont know how fast they are going as don't have a chrono but out of all the test loads that load grouped best, I'll use them up on red but I'd rather find a bullet that I could find a load and use it as an all round bullet.
    personally i would call that an all round bullet and load for the 270 !

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

That's what I thought lee, but over the last week ive not been impressed with them, before these I used winchester silvertip and thought they were a very good bullet but at 45 a box, heard the sst was a good bullet also so went with it may be outstanding on red/sika don't know I'll have to wait until later in the year to find out. Thought I'd ask on here to save me buying loda of tips until I find the right 1

dont like SST's but am surprised they are not expanding
    its usually the complete opposite at UK stalking distances and factory or faster MV's

59gr of 4831 is well into that range

use the 130gr Interlocks, pretty much the same POI
    slkightly arger groups than the corresponding SST weight but not enough to merit not using them

have used them on foxes, roe and reds (oh and hoodie crows!)
    expand well but not too well at all speeds/distances

also the speer SP is good

If you want to try some Speer 100gr, 150gr or 130gr Interlocks I can sort you out a few

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    110 Sierra prohunters, work on everything.

I am using the same load with very good expansion on roe but way too much on reds, interlocks like ed says are good as are partitions,
    usually sst with the 270 gives you a huge blood trail with a good size hole so very suprising you are not getting expantion, I have slowed my sst down to see how they work on reds but to me it is better to use correct bullet for the size of game you are shooting, partitions seem to do very well on anything that they hit, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Bewsher thanks I'll see how I get on, sounds like interlocks or partitions are a good option.

wayne ive only tested a couple of them but so far I'm not impressed mate the ones that hit hard bone have worked fine but the ones that have hit rib the exit hole ain't been that big 1 was a lung shot and the damage was minimal. Do you know how fast your firing them? I could maybe get it to a chrono and see, I bought them as they seemed a good option for an all round bullet. I'll maybe try a few more before I make my mind up on them. I use a 22-250 aswell but id like to keep that for myself and find a good all round bullet for the 270 so I can use it as a rifle for clients and the hill.