Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which deer calibre gets the most benefit from a sound mod?

Which deer calibre gets the most benefit from a sound mod?

Hi i was wandering what the opinion/experiences are of which deer legal calibre (.243 and above) gets the most sound suppression from a moderator?

Matt

Lots of variables at work and no hard evidence to back it up. My 17 rem is quietest followed by the 22/250 with the 6.5 and 308 being louder but similar and the 7mm Rem Mag the noisiest by some margin. No great surprise!

That is an interesting question and I would agree with Srvet that there are too many variables for it to have a definitive answer but I think the .270 win has benefited enormously from the development of sound moderators. It used to be almost like an industry secret how good the .270 was, it was a riflemans calibre if that makes sense. Now, with a moderator, its a pussycat to shoot and anyone can get good results.

It all depends on the make of mod and the size of the hole up the middle.
    some are a lot quieter than others!

Logic suggests that you need to find the chambering that:

i. Minimises the amount of powder (the bit that goes 'bang').
    ii. Produces the slowest possible bullet that still retains deer legal energy/velocity (the bit that goes 'crack').

The first is the bit the moderator can reduce - the mod has no effect on the second.

Has anyone ever tried to put a mod on a black powder gun??

Low pressure cartridges will have less noise to start with. A big bullet - say a 300 or 400gn .45cal or .50 cal going subsonic would as quiet as 22rf subsonic and carry a good thump. Trajectory - well like a 22rf, and since shooting a bigger target, good for 100 yds or so. Given most woodland deer are shot within this range - not a lot of problem.

To be legal - in England you need to meet energy requirements. Scotland with min vel, then no chance.

Forgive my ignorance but I have a quesstion on mods. I have T8 mods on my FAC for both .243 and .270, I couldn't bear to have my .243 Steyr Mannlicher cut and so sold the .243 mod. If I were to acquire a .243 that was cut for the T8 could I safely use the .270 mod on it? I agree with Glyn's comments on a moderated .270, much nicer to shoot and not just in terms of noise.
    Last edited by paul k; 22-04-2015 at 08:14.

That would depend on the cal stated on the mod, most are .25 or .30 cal.

You would not be able to use any .25 cal with your 270 has you can work out.

But any of the .30 cal will work fine (assuming both your rifles have the same thread) it will just mean that the . 243 will be slightly louder.

Andy
    "Amazing things can happen when preparation meet opportunity" Richard Schatz

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Low pressure cartridges will have less noise to start with. A big bullet - say a 300 or 400gn .45cal or .50 cal going subsonic would as quiet as 22rf subsonic and carry a good thump. Trajectory - well like a 22rf, and since shooting a bigger target, good for 100 yds or so. Given most woodland deer are shot within this range - not a lot of problem.

To be legal - in England you need to meet energy requirements. Scotland with min vel, then no chance.
    I looked at this when I was a bit bored and short of things to do, the 458 SOCOM comes closest but is not deer legal in England either when a subsonic round is used. Would be over the 1000ftlbs for roe up north but wouldnt meet the velocity

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    I looked at this when I was a bit bored and short of things to do, the 458 SOCOM comes closest but is not deer legal in England either when a subsonic round is used. Would be over the 1000ftlbs for roe up north but wouldnt meet the velocity
    730gr soft cast flat point bullet in .458 and job done:
    458 calibre

Getting it to stabilise is a different matter. The mould maker reckons 1-15" needed at 1200 fps but Berger bullets says otherwise:
    Twist Rate Stability Calculator | Berger Bullets

That calculator says it'll stabilise in my 1-20"
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me