Thread: Binoculars vs. seawater blunder - advice please!

Binoculars vs. seawater blunder - advice please!

Hi all,

This evening I dropped my Nikon Prostaff binoculars (in their pouch) into the bottom of a boat which had a deepish puddle of seawater in the bottom. The pouch got soaked and the binos got wet. They're working fine but I know what saltwater does to cars after only a brief encounter. Has anyone done similar? What should I do? Any advice appreciated as I love these binos and don't want them to die! I'd also rather avoid postage and service costs at Nikon if possible.

Cheers
    Mike

Wash off with warm water, (fresh water for a change)
    edi

I regularly take my Zeiss bins with me out on the salt marsh or on the boat. A quick rinse in warm water under the shower and then let them dry in a warm place. 20 years later they are still like new.

Binoculars in seawater,,,,, they are totally ruined ,,not worth trying to save,,,, please pack them up and send them to me at you cost ,,, I will make sure they are disposed of in an enviromentaly friendly manner

or just do what ,,, ejg & Heym SR20 advise and they will last for years

Thanks for the pointers everyone, they're now drying on the table having had a freshwater bath.

Cheers

Good to know, cheers mate

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    I regularly take my Zeiss bins with me out on the salt marsh or on the boat. A quick rinse in warm water under the shower and then let them dry in a warm place. 20 years later they are still like new.

the binoculars we use at sea get a regular covering of salt water spray, a quick clean/ rinse and they are fine you will be surprised the amount of abuse they can take