Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Close encounter with a Roe

Close encounter with a Roe

Went out for a look on a piece of ground 5 mins down the road to see if I could catch up with a buck.
    Got into the wood and made my round the far end where a high seat is in place, didn't bother sitting in the high seat. Just thought I would have a walk around instead.
    Made my way along the track, bumped a doe from a patch of laurel. She cut back through and stopped to have a look back. She looked in great nick and she also looked very plump, so hopefully a next generation on the way. She made her way back to some other cover.
    Stalked to a small clearing where the deer tend to hang around.There are 2 hazel trees that they tend to mark around, waited 20 mins but nothing showing.
    Moved along the old track back out towards a gateway and out into the field, stalked along the fence to a brow in the field which overlooks the bottom corner of the wood/field.
    Made myself comfortable on the fence line in a prone postion on one of poppins' yule type sacks( keep the evening damp out a treat! ), just about got myself settled for the last hour and a half of light when charlie popped out about 60m down the fence. He looked up and then made his way out into the field about 15m, gave him a squeak, enough to stop him broadside. Bang. 100gr core loc did the trick in the boiler room. Went to retrieve him and put him in some cover in the wood margin.
    Waited another 30-40 mins when I noticed a shape about 250m to my right along the headland, bins up and another great looking doe in good shape, more to the population by the looks of her.
    I was watching her for about 20mins when all of a sudden I heard a crack in the undergrowth to my left on the other side of the fence, I slowly turned my head as much as I could and bugger me, not 7ft away was a nice 6 pointer. We had a staring out competition for about 5mins. He the proceeded to stamp his foot and walk towards the fence at an angle so now he was 15ft down the fence in front of me but still inside the wood.
    The rifle was pointing in the right direction if he should pop over the fence but he stayed inside the fence stampimg his feet all the time. I could actually feel the stamping through my body as I lay there daring not to breathe.
    This went on for more than 20mins, then i thought he had moved to my rear as I heard another stamp there but then there was another to the front from the first buck. So whether I was in a territorial boundary I don't know.
    The first buck then barked and bounded off down through the wood still barking.
    So I left them to it as the light was going, nice to see a few deer on the ground and have yet another first while out stalking these beautiful creatures we have in our countryside.
    Jonathon

Sounds like a great evening (unless you were the fox that is)

What always amazes me is how they suddenly appear, i have only shot fallow so far and this time last year i can remember sat out like yourself watching a field for about 40 minutes i turned to look behind me, nothing by the time i had turned back 15 had appeared from nowhere in the field.

They are amazing creatures.

Cheers

BJS

I think that speaks volumes about your ability to stay motionless mate!!

Are you sure it was hoof-stamping you were hearing and not your own blood rushing through your ears?

There's always next time....
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Nice one Jonathan..

Priceless to encounter situations like that..

And have to agree absolutely beautifull creatures..

ATB

Terry
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Hi Jonathon,
    How many points did that fox have then? Sounds as frustrating as my last outing but aint it nice.

John

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Jonathon

Great post - the 'blink test' with a deer is always a challenge

I was out Saturday night, looked one side of a hedge - nothing, looked the other side of the hedge - nothing, looked back on the first side again - now 5 roe including 2 bucks!! How do they do it....

willie_gunn

Nice one Jonathon, well done on the Fox, shame about the Roe but it sound like you enjoyed the encounter none the less.

ATB
    Chris
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Cheers guys.
    It's just as nice to see them really but a little better when they are on the plate, then the boys don't think I am totally useless.

Dom
    I think he was a different guy to the one you saw in velvet, but he did have a nice set on him. So you never know he might be about when you next come up

Catch up with you guys on the 17th at Cirencester??

Jonathon

Quote Originally Posted by 243varmint View Post
    Catch up with you guys on the 17th at Cirencester??Jonathon
    Unfortunately Jonathon I will be in Ireland Fox shooting & Salmon fishing from the 16th to the 20th so will miss the open day this year, hope you all have a good time, sample some of that Venison for me.

ATB
    Chris
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by 243varmint View Post
    Catch up with you guys on the 17th at Cirencester??
    Yes, I'll be there. Sorry to hear that you won't Chris, but sounds like you'll be having fun!

willie_gunn