One of the best evenings I have had

NigelM

I'm not a professional, but tonight I took someone else out for the first time.

The gentleman in question is 76 years old, loves his stalking, but over the past few years has had a bit of a crisis of confidence. I persuaded him to come and sit in the Eagles Nest for an evening with me and see what came out of the woods.

Sue enough, at 1930, an old Roe Buck walked out onto the ride, just 60 yards from the seat. Perfect broadside shot from him and down it went. He was a very happy chappy on the drive home, almost like he had a new lease of life having got back on the horse again.

I can understand why some of you guys do it now. Far more personally satisfying than taking the shot yourself.

Excellent to hear, even better he got a successful shot off. It's good we hear far more of this sort of gesture on here than examples of rip off merchants and the like as is currently being discussed.

I've guided 4 people onto their first deer in the last few months, and a couple others onto first good bucks.

It's a really superb experience - I love doing it.

And the best bit is that, if they're friends (ie. not paying you) - they do the gralloch and drag!

Well done Nigel - a lovely gesture and an even better result. As you say, a different sort of satisfaction in helping others to enjoy the sport.

I'm not a professional, but tonight I took someone else out for the first time.

The gentleman in question is 76 years old, loves his stalking, but over the past few years has had a bit of a crisis of confidence. I persuaded him to come and sit in the Eagles Nest for an evening with me and see what came out of the woods.

Sue enough, at 1930, an old Roe Buck walked out onto the ride, just 60 yards from the seat. Perfect broadside shot from him and down it went. He was a very happy chappy on the drive home, almost like he had a new lease of life having got back on the horse again.

I can understand why some of you guys do it now. Far more personally satisfying than taking the shot yourself.

Nice one Nigel.. there is something far more satisfying helping others than helping yourself sometimes :thumb:

Two very happy stalkers that night .I just hope ime willing and able when I am 76 yrs old I might just need some help getting into positiom with my zimmer frame

Well done Nigel, hope all is well with you. Have you received your paperwork back?

Yes thank you Malc. Got my little badge as well. Thanks for all your help.

Thought hard about joining you on your Scottish trip when you posted the vacancies last week. Perhaps next year.

All the best,

Nigel

I've guided 4 people onto their first deer in the last few months, and a couple others onto first good bucks.

It's a really superb experience - I love doing it.

And the best bit is that, if they're friends (ie. not paying you) - they do the gralloch and drag!

He did the gralloch while I went to get the Land Rover. Came back to find him with blood up to both elbows - no idea what he'd been up to. But he insisted on taking it home. First deer into the larder he built a couple of years ago. He will be hanging and butchering it himself and there will be a great story told to whoever is fortunate enough to help him consume it.

Two very happy stalkers that night .I just hope ime willing and able when I am 76 yrs old I might just need some help getting into positiom with my zimmer frame

He is pretty amazing. Played rugby at a good level until he was about 35 and has kept up the fitness. Weights and running every morning. Comes with us on the hill in the autumn and walking the grouse up over the pointer. Always got a smile on his face and is quite often the last man standing at the end of the night.

I too hope I'm as fit and happy as that when I'm 76.

Back