Thread: Trip to Namibia

Trip to Namibia

A few pics from my recent trip -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2387.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	392.0 KB 
ID:	55708 A decent Gemsbok taken after walking and stalking for many miles.

Name:	DSCF2351.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	688.7 KB 
ID:	55709 A more than decent Kudu - 59 1/2" - taken offhand at just over bayonet range in very thick bush after tracking.

Name:	DSCF2333.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	646.5 KB 
ID:	55710 My friend Jan's suberb Eland - five hours of walking and stalking in the thick stuff - a great hunt and a great trophy - not bad for a little 308. A single shot and it went 40 yds and keeled over dead.

Name:	DSCF2312.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	308.6 KB 
ID:	55711 Hartebeest - a whole day of walking brought no sensible chances - then this chap walked into us at a waterhole at last light - another offhand shot and another great trophy.

I have lived in, worked in and visited many countries in Africa from South Africa to South Sudan and Namibia is my favourite - a huge country with a very small population where everything works - a bit like Zim before Bob went bananas. Its easy to visit and travel in and really safe.

great trophies Kuwinda...you are right Namibia is incredible (and stable)..im going back in August...glad to see the kudu bouncing back from the rabies epidemic a couple of years ago.

Nice trophies. I am going over in 2 weeks!!
    UK Agent for Settlers Safaris
    Grahamstown, South Africa
    Etosha Conservancy, Namibia
    Hunting Safaris | Big Game Hunting | Safari Hunter
    Home

That kudu is magnificent only a pedistel mount will do him justice. The only problem with Africa is your heart aches to get back.

Looks like you had a great trip. That is a big Kudu! Looking at your pictures really makes me want to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by gr1ffer View Post
    That kudu is magnificent only a pedistel mount will do him justice. The only problem with Africa is your heart aches to get back.

Congratulations on some amazing trophies. Is that a Sako 85 Bavarian with the S length action? I'm going by the apparent length of the magazine but I can't tell for sure. In which case, if it is, is it in .308win or smaller?

You got it in one - all correct! I have an American Zeiss 1.7 - 5.50 x 38 scope on it - which would have been ideal if I'd had the presence of mind to screw it down to the lowest setting for the Kudu - but of course that never happened - point and squirt!

I loaded up some 180g Nosler Partitions for the trip but I must say they were not perfect from the point of view of both accuracy and trajectory - a big drop from my usual loads. The rifle is very accurate with 150 grainers but 180g seems a stretch. I dare say something like 165 might have been a better compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by megsjockey View Post
    Congratulations on some amazing trophies. Is that a Sako 85 Bavarian with the S length action? I'm going by the apparent length of the magazine but I can't tell for sure. In which case, if it is, is it in .308win or smaller?

Quote Originally Posted by kuwinda View Post
    You got it in one - all correct! I have an American Zeiss 1.7 - 5.50 x 38 scope on it - which would have been ideal if I'd had the presence of mind to screw it down to the lowest setting for the Kudu - but of course that never happened - point and squirt!

I loaded up some 180g Nosler Partitions for the trip but I must say they were not perfect from the point of view of both accuracy and trajectory - a big drop from my usual loads. The rifle is very accurate with 150 grainers but 180g seems a stretch. I dare say something like 165 might have been a better compromise.
    Well, you didn't miss and your beasts look perfectly dead. Great experience I'm sure. Thanks for sharing.