Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SGC & FAC "permits".

SGC & FAC "permits".

My FEO informed me that due to staff shortages they are running late on renewals etc. i was informed that a permit will be issued when my renewal date elapsed. Ammunition cannot be bought whilst under this permit.
    Anyone heard of this or had one issued?

Basically (from memory here, so someone may be along shortly to confirm or correct) these are single sheets of paper issued on the same paper as your normal certificates which, in effect, permit you to possess the rifles and/or shotguns you already have and are issued when things are running late, usually valid for the time they expect it'll take to get your renewals done. I don't think there's anywhere on them to record purchase of ammunition for rifles. I'm not sure whether you can buy shotgun cartridges or not, possibly depends on the seller.

Forces generally issue them when you've sent back your renewals in time and it's their fault things are late. If you send the forms off late, they may well take the stance that your certs have expired and so you'll have to lodge your guns and apply for a grant!

So, these days with things the way they are, it's not a bad idea to stock up on ammo whilst you still have your certificates in date.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    My FEO informed me that due to staff shortages they are running late on renewals etc. i was informed that a permit will be issued when my renewal date elapsed. Ammunition cannot be bought whilst under this permit.
    you will be handing your expanding ammo in!! 2 weeks left on my temp sgc, the fac is up in 2016...

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    Your FEO is correct. A temporary permit does not authorise acquisition of ammunition.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

my temp permit for renewal of my SGC is for 3 months, so thats some backlog. Even tho I put my forms in plenty of time.

I've just got a temporary SGC from North Wales Police that takes me three months beyond the expiry of the SGC, the wording seems similar to but not identical to the SGC. I got the impression that they have a sizeable backlog. The other point of note is that the application was submitted before the increase in fees but the new SGC dates from afterwards but they accepted the cheque for the old renewal fee and haven't asked for the additional 9.

So the new fees increase is to cover an immediate downgrade in the service from a number of force FLDs is it?

What happens if they manage to force through the 'full costs recovery' mooted by some politicians - do we get refunds!

I get the impression that some who are suffering from this are happy to be issued with a S.7 Permit when their FAC/SGC fails to appear, despite lodging the renewal some 8 weeks before expiry, as the alternative would be to lodge their firearms with an RFD. Can't say that I would be impressed if I were in the same situation, and I'd be more likely to fire off a couple of letters to the CC & PCC requesting action. It's only by drawing the attention of the top strata of management to the problem that things likely to improve, (or at least halt the downwards slide in service).

Here we go again.....

Several different forces unable to renew certificates in time.
    months and months overdue
    temporaries are of little use.

Its really not good enough, for the shooters,
    and public safety.
    Clearly the administrators are getting bogged down
    with irrelevant detail. Renewals should be relatively straight forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post
    Your FEO is correct. A temporary permit does not authorise acquisition of ammunition.
    Hello and sorry if I am contradicting you Uncle Norm but I think I am correct in saying (because I have read the Home Office "Guide on Firearms Licensing Law/ March 2015, Page 140, Chapter 15 'Permits', Paragraph 15.3) With reference to the 'Section 7' (Temporary) Permit it says: "section 5(1) of the 1988 Act allows the holder of a permit to purchase section 2 shotgun ammunition"

i.e. You can buy ammo for your shotgun but not for your rifle.

I really only came to know all of this because I too have had a delay in renewal, which was no fault of mine and was down to the ill health of my firearms liaison officer at the time. All sorted now, including the retired FLO. :-)

I am waiting to see when the members wake up and find out they will be having too hand in there expanding ammo whilst on a temp fac permit.......

The kettle is on............

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....