Thread: 22-250 velocity

22-250 velocity

Have just tested some 22-250 loads and have found a really tight node with bullet velocities of 3500fps (55 grain). From what i am reading guys are pushing 55 grain bullets a lot quicker and wondered what your thoughts are on 22-250 velocity with this weight bullet. Should i be looking for a few hundred fps more or is 3500fps acceptable for this calibre? Im happy to keep this load as the groups tighten up significantly but did not want to have it loaded too soft as want the most from the calibre.

Noting wrong with that in my view! Why risk messing up your groups? Velocity isn't everything
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

+1 Thats still packing 1500 ft-lbs. Nothing from CWD down will get up from that, bullet choice dependent
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Have a look at this? (if you haven't seen it already)

http://gundata.org/blog/post/22-250-ballistics-chart/
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

SD Regular
    Sam, Feels like good velocity as far as I am concerned - barrel length is a major factor here and anyone pushing to 3,800 with 55gr probably has a 24in ish barrel and is also burning much more powder to get there. How much powder are you using to get to where you are? If you're close to case capacity, that should also tell you something...... consistency is the key.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

what barrel length is your rifle and what powder are you using

21 inch barrel and 39.9 grains big game. Couldn't get on with N 140.

hi S8-nothing at all wrong with the velocity you are getting-just as dead if hit at 3500 or 3800.I use varget for 55 Grainers at 3620 another mild load but good enough for 5/600 yard target work and at that level the barrel should last a lot longer too!Accuracy before velocity particularly when you have real time data on drops etc.RegardsRichard.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    Have a look at this? (if you haven't seen it already)

http://gundata.org/blog/post/22-250-ballistics-chart/
    This is great, thanks