Thread: Lidl Private Mobile Radios - 5 mile range!

Lidl Private Mobile Radios - 5 mile range!

Coming soon to a Lidl near you. A pair of PMR handsets with simultaneous charger with claimed 5 mile range for under 25:00. Got to be worth a nibble?
    Mauser M03 Extreme .308 / Ruger 22 250

worth a nibble yes, but 5 mile range will be "Line of sight" put a building , trees or god forbid a big hill in the way ,,,forget the 5 miles
    but definatly worth a look for that price

If you want to use PMR for anything but a toy, I wouldn't buy the cheapest ones.

In addition to usability etc. I would pay attention to at least:

- battery type (I prefer AA, much longer life than AAA)
    - accessory jack type (in case the included accessories are not to your liking, get lost etc)
    - included accessories

I've had Midland G7E for a few years, not much use so couldn't justify any pricier. Paid 80something Euros on sale and you can finetune them (not necessary for me) or even up the power (search for "g7e power mod"), add channels (useless to me) and even antenna mod is not too difficult. Of course anything but finetuning would turn them to something else than license free PMR...

Agreed, wouldnt use for calling for help but might be useful to communicate on a driven stalk?

Quote Originally Posted by jthyttin View Post
    If you want to use PMR for anything but a toy, I wouldn't buy the cheapest ones.

In addition to usability etc. I would pay attention to at least:

- battery type (I prefer AA, much longer life than AAA)
    - accessory jack type (in case the included accessories are not to your liking, get lost etc)
    - included accessories

I've had Midland G7E for a few years, not much use so couldn't justify any pricier. Paid 80something Euros on sale and you can finetune them (not necessary for me) or even up the power (search for "g7e power mod"), add channels (useless to me) and even antenna mod is not too difficult. Of course anything but finetuning would turn them to something else than license free PMR...
    Mauser M03 Extreme .308 / Ruger 22 250

Have a set, they had them here recently. Very good sound quality, really like them. Never tested them to any longer ranges though. Might get a second set when they come round again.
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by Grimrecruiter View Post
    Agreed, wouldnt use for calling for help but might be useful to communicate on a driven stalk?
    Using mixed PMR in e.g. driven hunt gets very annoying most of the time. Broken microphones, VOX particularly, using call instead of PTT it all adds up. If you rely on your ears you soon start to wonder whether you want to disturb situational awareness (earplug) when the benefit from listening to PMR approaches zero.

I'd say PMR is most useful when used in pairs or a few at most. Like shooting range, dove/waterfowl shooting, doing chores that require coordinating (like some work at house that requires two person in downstairs/upstairs).

In my experience realistic max range in the woods is 500m - 2km for off the shelf PMR 446.

Depending on circumstances (e.g. lots of fields or other open area) and setup, you may be able to reliably reach something like 5km.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    I wish you well with the 5 miles but with just 500 mw (1/2 a watt of power) you will most likely get a few hundred yards,

Mind you the longest distance transmitted was 333 miles during lift conditions, and then when used in a city the same radios got just a few hundred yards,

Dont expect miracles but I wish you well.

Bob
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube