Thread: Another bins thread. Barr & Stroud Series 5?

Another bins thread. Barr & Stroud Series 5?

Am in a similar boat to probably a number of members and currently looking for some new bins.. Quite taken by ZEISS but possibly more by the name. I did find these
    Barr Stroud Series 5 ED WP 8X42 FMC Binoculars
    and the reviews seemed good for the series 4 but also tempted by some Minox BV for 150 or Prostaff 7S for about the same.

I think more swayed by the Barrs though but couldn't find much info on the series 5's

Anyone have any experience of these? Looking to spend about 200 for stalking mainly Roe.
    Browning A-Bolt Composite Stalker .243 - Predator 8 - Schmidt & Bender 6x42
    CZ 452 Silhouette 20" .17HMR - SAK - Pecar Berlin 4-10x50
    CZ 452 Silhouette 16" .22LR - SAK - Pecar Berlin Champion 6x45
    Air Arms S400 Xtra FAC .22 - Leupold M8 6x36
    Verney Carron 12b O/U DTEj

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    I have the Sahara from b and s and a mate got the ones you mentioned and they are spot on, I compared them to my favourite bins made for the army and I'm well impressed the 5s are very good,

The pairs we had a look through where as follows,

B and s Sahara 7 x 42 stunning for the money
    b and s 5 s as above fantastic value and good light collection
    Leica ? And they where very good to but cost 3 times as much for the same result,

And last but not least auto focusing avimo 7x42 ex army issue I love these as they are auto focus and I have both a short sighted and long sighted eyes, again stunning glass and have lasted well on the hands of the army before I got them these are just fantastic for quick field

think you will be well pleased witthe b and s 5s but the minor are also very good but I have not used them long enough to give you any comment worth taking to heart

Bob,
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    I have the Sahara from b and s and a mate got the ones you mentioned and they are spot on, I compared them to my favourite bins made for the army and I'm well impressed the 5s are very good,

The pairs we had a look through where as follows,

B and s Sahara 7 x 42 stunning for the money
    b and s 5 s as above fantastic value and good light collection
    Leica ? And they where very good to but cost 3 times as much for the same result,

And last but not least auto focusing avimo 7x42 ex army issue I love these as they are auto focus and I have both a short sighted and long sighted eyes, again stunning glass and have lasted well on the hands of the army before I got them these are just fantastic for quick field

think you will be well pleased witthe b and s 5s but the minor are also very good but I have not used them long enough to give you any comment worth taking to heart

Bob,
    Thanks for that, also found these to muddy the waters

DCF Nikon Monarch 8x42 5 | Alzashop.com

i really think that minox just have the market when it comes to binos in and around that price tag and to be honest they i think that they even beat binos that come in at a lot more money i did own a pair of swaro 10x50 slc which were as you can imagine very good but after looking through a set of minoxs i sold tham as i the optcal quality was so little bettwwen them that i would rather have an extra couple of hundred quid in my pocket and i have never regreted my choice

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    i really think that minox just have the market when it comes to binos in and around that price tag and to be honest they i think that they even beat binos that come in at a lot more money i did own a pair of swaro 10x50 slc which were as you can imagine very good but after looking through a set of minoxs i sold tham as i the optcal quality was so little bettwwen them that i would rather have an extra couple of hundred quid in my pocket and i have never regreted my choice
    Yes, still got the Minox very much in contention but completely torn between the Minox, Vortex Diamondback and the B&S. The Vector has a great lifetime warranty (even if you drop them) but the B&S has a better FOV (142 against just under 130 for the other two) and are lighter. I don't think I'm going to be able to find them locally so will probably be buying blind but pretty sure they are all great bins and they would all do fine for my needs.

Blog Entries
    I did see the b&s on amazon for a tad less than you posted, but the choice is yours,

Bob,
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

That helped tip the balance.... Ordered the Barrs from Amazon

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Colster View Post
    That helped tip the balance.... Ordered the Barrs from Amazon

Thanks.
    Well done bud good for you, I think you will be happy at that price,

Bob,