Another bins thread. Barr & Stroud Series 5?

Colster

Am in a similar boat to probably a number of members and currently looking for some new bins.. Quite taken by ZEISS but possibly more by the name. I did find these
Barr Stroud Series 5 ED WP 8X42 FMC Binoculars
and the reviews seemed good for the series 4 but also tempted by some Minox BV for £150 or Prostaff 7S for about the same.

I think more swayed by the Barrs though but couldn't find much info on the series 5's

Anyone have any experience of these? Looking to spend about 200 for stalking mainly Roe.

I have the Sahara from b and s and a mate got the ones you mentioned and they are spot on, I compared them to my favourite bins made for the army and I'm well impressed the 5s are very good,

The pairs we had a look through where as follows,

B and s Sahara 7 x 42 stunning for the money
b and s 5 s as above fantastic value and good light collection
Leica ? And they where very good to but cost 3 times as much for the same result,

And last but not least auto focusing avimo 7x42 ex army issue I love these as they are auto focus and I have both a short sighted and long sighted eyes, again stunning glass and have lasted well on the hands of the army before I got them these are just fantastic for quick field

think you will be well pleased witthe b and s 5s but the minor are also very good but I have not used them long enough to give you any comment worth taking to heart

Bob,

I have the Sahara from b and s and a mate got the ones you mentioned and they are spot on, I compared them to my favourite bins made for the army and I'm well impressed the 5s are very good,

The pairs we had a look through where as follows,

B and s Sahara 7 x 42 stunning for the money
b and s 5 s as above fantastic value and good light collection
Leica ? And they where very good to but cost 3 times as much for the same result,

And last but not least auto focusing avimo 7x42 ex army issue I love these as they are auto focus and I have both a short sighted and long sighted eyes, again stunning glass and have lasted well on the hands of the army before I got them these are just fantastic for quick field

think you will be well pleased witthe b and s 5s but the minor are also very good but I have not used them long enough to give you any comment worth taking to heart

Bob,

Thanks for that, also found these to muddy the waters

DCF Nikon Monarch 8x42 5 | Alzashop.com

i really think that minox just have the market when it comes to binos in and around that price tag and to be honest they i think that they even beat binos that come in at a lot more money i did own a pair of swaro 10x50 slc which were as you can imagine very good but after looking through a set of minoxs i sold tham as i the optcal quality was so little bettwwen them that i would rather have an extra couple of hundred quid in my pocket and i have never regreted my choice

i really think that minox just have the market when it comes to binos in and around that price tag and to be honest they i think that they even beat binos that come in at a lot more money i did own a pair of swaro 10x50 slc which were as you can imagine very good but after looking through a set of minoxs i sold tham as i the optcal quality was so little bettwwen them that i would rather have an extra couple of hundred quid in my pocket and i have never regreted my choice

Yes, still got the Minox very much in contention but completely torn between the Minox, Vortex Diamondback and the B&S. The Vector has a great lifetime warranty (even if you drop them) but the B&S has a better FOV (142 against just under 130 for the other two) and are lighter. I don't think I'm going to be able to find them locally so will probably be buying blind but pretty sure they are all great bins and they would all do fine for my needs.

I did see the b&s on amazon for a tad less than you posted, but the choice is yours,

Bob,

Back