Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 243 Advice please

243 Advice please

Hello all, here's a little conundrum I could use a little help with and who better to ask....
    I'm about to start reloading 243 for a friend, and this is the only CF calibre he has on his ticket. I should also mension I dont use 243. He takes the occasional guided stalk and comes out foxing quite regularly with me. The stalker he goes out with insists on a min of 100grn bullets and for convenience he doesn't want to constantly re-zero between the 100grn'ers and a lighter better suited 'fox-type' bullet. I realise what I'm looking for is always going to be a compromise of sorts, but that's the hand I've been dealt so to speak. What would you go for/use? While we're at it which powder too?
    Many thanks in advance.
    ATB Lee
    Last edited by leej; 25-04-2015 at 08:09.

I've used .243Win for over twenty years with Nosler 95gn BT's driven by 44gns of Vit.N160. Superbly accurate and will take all species other than heavy red stags quite easily. Red stags absolutely require exact shot placement with this bullet.
    No foxes ever walked away.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Thanks for the info deeangeo, but I'm afraid that doesn't help me much. Apart from the powder of course

Just looked up my records from 2006 and found this load that I used for several years. 100 grain Sierra Prohunter, 42 grains Viht. N160. 2868 fps muzzle velocity (1826 ft.lbs. muzzle energy).
    With zero set at 100 yds, dropped approx. 3 inches at 200 yds.

Sako 75 with 22 inch barrel. This was a safe load, with no signs of excess pressure in my rifle. However do be safe and work the load up, as your friend's rifle will be different and is unlikely to perform exactly the same.

The load was effective on Roe and Fallow. I did take some Red but at closer range. Not ideal for larger Red as heavily dependent on bullet placement for a quick kill.
    I have also found that most .243 bullets do not exit on large Red, so not leaving a good blood trail. They usually exit on all other species though.
    I have killed foxes with this load no matter where the bullet has struck. I hope this is useful.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Very useful, thankyou Uncle Norm.

Leej - Reloder 22 works well with 100 grain bullets - Good velocity & accuracy with no perceived pressure signs in my rifle. Foxes don't like 'em up em!

When I used to shoot a lot of foxes I shot 75 grain HP Sierras & 100/105 grain SP bullets from various makers - There was 1/2" difference in POI at 100 yards - the 100 grainers striking higher (this in three different rifles) - I think this was due to higher recoil with the heavier bullets. It didn't matter which bullets I hit the foxes with - the result was the same.

If you don't hold 243 expanding missiles in your ticket, don't fall foul of the law - Reload in your friend's presence.

Ian

p.s. I used Vihtavuori N140 with the 75 grainers resulting in muzzle velocity about 3300 ft/sec.-
    Last edited by Yorric; 25-04-2015 at 09:18.

100 gr Sierra Pro Hunter , 37 gr Hodgdons H 380 ( this is not max load but found in my rifle any more and accuracy Suffered)) Rem. Mag. Primers.

Zeroed 1 inch high at one hundred yards, accurate enough from 0 to 200yards without any hold over.

This is my set up for everything Reds, Roe, and foxes like your friend I did not want to be having to rezero every time I changed bullets.

Did manage to work up a load for 95 gr Nosler BTs that shot to same P.O.A as the 100 gr Pro hunters but seemed a bit pointless for 5 gr of difference

As you are no doubt aware by law we must use 100 gr for Reds here in the North , the above works well on Highland Reds, but I can see it being under powered for big Southern Reds, but there again if you are regularly shooting Reds of that size then .243 is probably not the best choice of rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    Leej - Reloder 22 works well with 100 grain bullets - Good velocity & accuracy with no perceived pressure signs in my rifle. Foxes don't like 'em up em!

When I used to shoot a lot of foxes I shot 75 grain HP Sierras & 100/105 grain SP bullets from various makers - There was 1/2" difference in POI at 100 yards - the 100 grainers striking higher (this in three different rifles) - I think this was due to higher recoil with the heavier bullets. It didn't matter which bullets I hit the foxes with - the result was the same.

If you don't hold 243 expanding missiles in your ticket, don't fall foul of the law - Reload in your friend's presence.

Ian

p.s. I used Vihtavuori N140 with the 75 grainers resulting in muzzle velocity about 3300 ft/sec.-
    Its amazing the difference in rifles. My Sako 75 Hunter would not shoot Reloder 22 with 100 grain bullets at all. I got signs of excess pressure before I got anywhere near the velocity needed to make 1,700 ft lbs. muzzle energy. My pal was using Reloder 22 in his Tikka Continental with no problem though.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Thanks to everyone who replied (including PM's). All info greatfully received and taken on board. Knew I could rely on the good hearted and extremely knowledgable folk on this site. Top knotch.
    ATB Lee

as already has been said find a 100gr bullet and stick with it I use 105 gr bullets with vit 165 for everything that way I only need one powder type and I don't need to re zero.