Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Danger to Dogs

  1. #1

    Danger to Dogs

    I am cross posting this from It is serious and it is posted by senior management.


    Last night at agility class, a vet, who is a fellow agility student was telling us about a case she had this week. The dog ate a child's teddy bear and was very sick. When she opened the dog up to remove what she thought was an intestinal obstruction she found a huge gelatin type mess inside and the dogs intestines were black and the tissue dead. The dog will die no surgery can fix him up there was no living intestine left from stomach to colon.

    This was not an obstruction. .... so she called the manufacturer of the Teddy Bear on a quest to find out what the gel was and what killed the dog. Turns out the stuffing in children's toys contains ingredients for flame retardants and mite control! It is designed to be come a gel. It is highly toxic. Now you would think a child's toy would be safe because it is for children, but they don't expect a child to eat the stuffing of the toys... huummmm that seems a bit scary too. But we all know dogs demolish stuffed toys.

    So do not give or buy your dog any children's stuffed animals... some people get them at goodwill etc. The vet will be posting a warning and story and I will send any other facts as needed and as I learn more. Maybe some children's toys do not have this ingredient, but better to be safe then sorry. So meanwhile, make sure all your dog toys are for dogs. Please pass this on... it is a horrible death she described and one that can be avoided.

  2. #2
    Extremely worrying news Jimbo,my munster pup well he's 7 mnths now is forever getting hold of my twins soft toys,most of the eyes and noses have dissapeared now but i don't think he's had any stuffing out of them yet,best get them put out of his reach i think,thanks for the warning .
    Last edited by Dawnraider; 05-04-2010 at 14:48.

  3. #3
    A very useful & timely (pup time) heads up!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

  4. #4
    Is it the white fluffy stuffing that turns to gel?

  5. #5
    Well done Jimbo..

    Just spoke with all the family about this as our dobie is always running round with one of the kids stuffed toys..

    As Neil said thanks for the heads up..

    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Similar Threads

  1. allergic to dogs please help
    By weeman in forum Deer Dogs & Tracking
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 22-09-2009, 08:41
  2. Two unhappy looking dogs
    By Ye old stalker in forum Deer Dogs & Tracking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-06-2009, 16:28
  3. The dogs
    By manc-munsters in forum Photos
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24-03-2009, 15:11
  4. What dogs are you using?
    By scotsgun in forum Deer Dogs & Tracking
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 17-08-2008, 19:07
  5. New dogs
    By monynut in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-10-2007, 00:26

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts