Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: variation for ackley improved

variation for ackley improved

Do you need to include ack imp on your variation if wanting to purchase, or can you for example buy a .243 ack imp with only .243 on your licence?

Licensing is purely about calibre or should be, your .243 AI is just a .243 in the big scheme of things.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

If you license says .243 you can get any .243. If it says .243 Win then you can only get a .243 win.

Thats all in theory. Realistically it doesn't always work that way. Many RFD's won't sell you a 22wmr even though your license says 22rf and won't sell you a 30-06 if your license says .308.
    A .243 AI is still a .242 win though (just modified) so I'd say apply for .243 as it opens up way more rifles to you
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Funny you mention that , my first ackley a good few years ago was okayed by firearms licencing as just 243 on my ticket and was told no need to send ticket back for variation!!!
    But since i have owned a 6.5-55 improved and now 280 improved i asked the same question and i had to have it specified as improved for those calibers , my ticket came back as improved written on it!!!
    Differing force areas????

I have .243 on my cert so no probs there. I am looking at a 6.5x55 ack imp and wanted some thoughts before I put in the variation. Didn't want to put 6.5x55 ack imp down and then if sale falls through not be able to buy a standard 6.5x55. Are there any rules on these sort of questions or do all the counties have different rules?

Quote Originally Posted by s8mdevo View Post
    I have .243 on my cert so no probs there. I am looking at a 6.5x55 ack imp and wanted some thoughts before I put in the variation. Didn't want to put 6.5x55 ack imp down and then if sale falls through not be able to buy a standard 6.5x55. Are there any rules on these sort of questions or do all the counties have different rules?
    Speak to your local force about what they usally ask for!!!
    As for the 6.5-55 impoved - i owned one and it was a cracking caliber!!!

I would want belt a braces cover for that personally
    ask for the CARTRIDGE you want

a 30-30 is not the same as a 300RUM but the calibre is

Everyone i know only ever puts the caliber they want down, for instance i have asked for 7mm on mine and had it done in saum, maybe turn it into 284 when barrel is gone, also 6.5 asked for and i can go for 6.5x55 6.5x284 6.5x47 you get the drift as its only the caliber that is asked for, if you ask for 6mm you can have any 6mm .243 etc. But if you state caliber and case also you will be stuck with exactly what you asked for.

Quote Originally Posted by drbob View Post
    Everyone i know only ever puts the caliber they want down, for instance i have asked for 7mm on mine and had it done in saum, maybe turn it into 284 when barrel is gone, also 6.5 asked for and i can go for 6.5x55 6.5x284 6.5x47 you get the drift as its only the caliber that is asked for, if you ask for 6mm you can have any 6mm .243 etc. But if you state caliber and case also you will be stuck with exactly what you asked for.
    Makes it a bit easier that way, I like the idea of a bit of flexibility and not being stuck with one cartridge. If I get the variation for 6.5x55 and then a nice 6.5x47 turns up I think I should be able to buy it. I will have to speak to Surrey police and see what there views are on it.

Quote Originally Posted by s8mdevo View Post
    Makes it a bit easier that way, I like the idea of a bit of flexibility and not being stuck with one cartridge. If I get the variation for 6.5x55 and then a nice 6.5x47 turns up I think I should be able to buy it. I will have to speak to Surrey police and see what there views are on it.
    total opposite to Edinburgh
    wanted a ".30cal" variation as I wanted to try a 30-06 and a 300wm
    told me to choose one!