Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many rounds can a .243 barrel take?

How many rounds can a .243 barrel take?

I'm (hopefully) about to get my FAC granted and am looking to get a .243. As I'll be spending as little as I can get away with, I'm finding many of the rifles in my price bracket have had up to 500 shots through them. Bear in mind I may well be buying rfd without being able to test accuracy. My question is - roughly how many shots can a 243 barrel take? I realise maintenance plays a large part in the question, but let's assume a caring but not OCD owner. I have no idea - 1000? 5000?

Apologies if this question has been answered before, I couldn't find a straight answer! Cheers.

Depends on whether 'hot' loads of just standard factory ammo has been used. Also (as you have clearly grasped) what cleaning, if any, has been done.

If treated well I'd guess a figure of 5000 or greater might be achieve able?

ps I've got a lovely Tikka with only a couple of hundred thru it for sale (been very well looked after, I can guarantee as I've had it from new)

Cheers Mike,
    Good, that's a lot more rounds than I expected. My FAC isn't through yet (should come in the next 4-6 weeks I hope) so wouldn't want to waste your time. I'm also on a serious budget, trying to get a setup for sub 400 if possible, but if that applies to your tikka then I'd certainly be interested.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Depends on whether 'hot' loads of just standard factory ammo has been used. Also (as you have clearly grasped) what cleaning, if any, has been done.

If treated well I'd guess a figure of 5000 or greater might be achieve able?

ps I've got a lovely Tikka with only a couple of hundred thru it for sale (been very well looked after, I can guarantee as I've had it from new)

I know it's a little trek but Ivythorn Sporting have great customer service and you can test fire there as well. Appointment only mind.
    They have this in at the moment BRNO .243 CZ 601 LUX Bolt Action Second Hand for sale. Buy for 250.
    Not screw cut but I don't know if you are going to run a moddy or not.
    Last edited by Greener Jim; 25-04-2015 at 18:30.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Only four or five rounds before it needs to be rebarreled to 7mm-08. ~Muir

Conventional wisdom would say something like 1000-1500 rounds before peak accuracy starts to fall off.

Please take into account, that this would mean firing extended strings like 20 shots in few minutes and then letting the barrel cool. And "peak accuracy" means you have a rig capable of, say 1/4 MOA and "falling off" means you first get only 3/8 MOA and then gradually worse.

From real life experience I can tell my LW chromo barrel in 260 Rem started to seriously erode the throat and throw flyers around 2000-2500 rds mark. It's been somewhat abused regarding extended strings and such.

I don't believe maintenance plays a big role, other than it's easy to ruin the barrel by over-maintaining with wrong methods. As long as there's no visible pitting etc. you may have to "restore" a neglected barrel, but afterwards it shouldn't matter. So in fact I'd rather take a neglected barrel than overmaintained one, if I wasn't sure of previous owner's competence.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Only four or five rounds before it needs to be rebarreled to 7mm-08. ~Muir
    muir there must be somthing wrong with your computer as your post has read that your suggesting that this chap may want to take a perfectly gentlmanly calibered rifle and then barstewardize it into some sort of half brick launcher i mean what ever next fly fishing with a boat rod?

lets be honest for 4-500 your not going to get a hair spliting sniper rifle but to be honest your not going to need it if youve got your variation in and you definatly want a .243 then fine i shot .243 and i love it but to make your cash go a little further .308 and .270 rifles always seem to come in quite cheap on the secondhand market and both will do the job just as fine what i would say tho is with your budget dont worrie about a moderator infact i would be looking for a rifle which hasnt even been screw cut as they will be even cheaper

Get a new howa for that
    No shot count to worry about and will last ages

Quote Originally Posted by mikeakc View Post
    My question is - roughly how many shots can a 243 barrel take?
    Far more than the deer you'll shoot in a lifetime?

K