Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting other people's homeloads...

Exclamation Shooting other people's homeloads...

Some time ago I received some homeloads when I bought a secondhand gun. These were .45Colt gallery loads that "shot really well", according to the seller of the gun. He didn't want any money for them and so they were duly signed over. Since they were being shot through the same gun I thought they be good for plinking/practice etc.

Back home the ammunition was locked away and I shot the gun for years using my own homeloads.

Today I decided to free up some space in the cabinet so took the donated rounds to the range, along with some of my usual homeloads.

The donated loads were total gash. So much so I thought the sight was loose, or the gun damaged in some way. To my relief, when I used my own loads she shot as beautifully as ever:

I inspected the remaining donated loads: primer-seating was uneven, variable OAL, some shaved bullets, one backwards primer...

...and this hidden gem. Can you spot it:

It's a 44mag case that's been through a 45Colt die set and has been stuffed with a .454 bullet instead of a .429 :

It doesn't show well in the pic (on the left) but the whole round is kinked!

Moral of the story- there's no such thing as a free lunch!

Why no no no not ever.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

I can't put my response to this post on a public forum! Unbelievable that people like that reload!
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Quote Originally Posted by Greener Jim View Post
    I can't put my response to this post on a public forum! Unbelievable that people like that reload!
    And that's why we don't shoot other peoples' homeloads!

One of the Primary Rules of Handloading: YOU NEVER SHOOT ANYONE ELSE'S HANDLOADS.
    You shot loads that looked like those?
    I don't know which is more embarrassing: The quality of the loads or the fact that you shot them.
    It was foolhardy, to say the least. ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    One of the Primary Rules of Handloading: YOU NEVER SHOOT ANYONE ELSE'S HANDLOADS.
    You shot loads that looked like those?
    I don't know which is more embarrassing: The quality of the loads or the fact that you shot them.
    It was foolhardy, to say the least. ~Muir
    The rounds I shot were the last 15 or so in a box and looked ok except for somewhat excessive lube. The spent cases looked ok and we're all the same headstamp (unlike the other box). The poor accuracy is what prompted closer inspection of the full, second box. All the empties in the first box had been through the same gun, so it seemed a shame to waste the remaining. Embarrassing, yes.

It does go to prove the adage you quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by big ears View Post
    Brave post.
    Maybe someone else can learn from my mistake.
    Last edited by xavierdoc; 26-04-2015 at 10:01.

I'm glad you encountered nothing worst than miserable accuracy. ~Muir

I could count on one hand the people I would trust to Handload for me and still have fingers to spare.

Yorkie.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    I could count on one hand the people I would trust to Handload for me and still have fingers to spare.

Yorkie.
    and that's taking into account the fingers you lost with those dodgy homeloads!!