Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 bore

8 bore

Have found myself with a muzzel loading 8 bore , and to be honest i do not have that much experince with these sort of things. It says on the side 5 1/2 drams to 2oz of shot , well acording to the internet thats 150 grains , seems like quite alot to me also im havent got black powder but pyrodex RS . Basically asking what would the correct load would be using pyrodex? Having a bit of trouble finding out on the net . Thanks matt

That's about right mate.
    By VOLUME pyrodex is about equal to blackpowder. Do not measure it by weight as pyrodex is more powerful by weight than black.
    If you loaded 5 drams it gives you a nice margin. Start lower if you wish, say 4 1/2 dram.

Sounds like a lovely bit of kit mate. Got any pictures? Want to sell
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Matt.
    If this is a vintage gun then the first port of call I would make would be to a competent gunsmith for an examination and report of its condition. When I have acquired the genuine article and wish to shoot it, I have always had the breech plug removed as part of the examination.
    These old guns can be tremendous fun to shoot but their age should be borne in mind. So far I have managed to keep all my fingers and thumbs etc.
    Best regards.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

+1 on Uncle Norms advice. I should have led with that.

Also, patched round ball anyone (with appropriate licensing)....Ball Moulds | Moulds
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Yup. Take it to a gunsmith for a look-see. I had a 58 caliber, Three Band Enfield blow the breech plug out while hunting in the wilds. Put me in a surgical eye clinic for 5 days, and left me blinded for three weeks in my left eye, and 5 weeks in my right.~Muir

FWIW: You can halve that charge and halve the shot load. Just make sure you ALWAYS seat the shot firmly on the powder leaving no air space. Also, follow the advice about Pyrodex. It is ALWAYS loaded by volume, not weight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0625.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	55877Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0626.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	213.7 KB 
ID:	55878Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0627.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	240.2 KB 
ID:	55879

Its quite new by the looks of it .Thanks for the advice , sounds like i better go and by a power volume measure

Quote Originally Posted by matt_1029 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0625.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	55877Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0626.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	213.7 KB 
ID:	55878Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0627.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	240.2 KB 
ID:	55879

Its quite new by the looks of it .Thanks for the advice , sounds like i better go and by a power volume measure
    Yup. A Zoli. Have at it. A powder measure, and a shot measure..... and a round ball mold if you want to play Courtney Selous! (Tho he used a 4-bore, iirc. Ouch!) You might want to find some fiber wads, or wadding material, to keep the shot and powder separated and in place.

Nice gun, by the way. It's built on the same pattern as the Zouave .58 musket which is reputed to have a very strong breech. I have a Dixie Gunworks Magnum Hunter in 58 caliber rifle that is built on this pattern. It was advertized as one of their strongest black powder arms. ~Muir

same volume of powder as lead shot .

Thanks all for the information ,, one more question , Whats the best way to clean it?? Very interesting Muir thanks very much .

clean with hot soapy water take of barrel then stand barrel in a bowl of hot soapy water wrap a cloth around the barrel to hold it with then pour a kettle of hot water down ,using a rod with a mop pump the water up and down the barrel through the nipple , stand muzzle down to dry of then oil