8 bore

matt_1029

Have found myself with a muzzel loading 8 bore , and to be honest i do not have that much experince with these sort of things. It says on the side 5 1/2 drams to 2oz of shot , well acording to the internet thats 150 grains , seems like quite alot to me also im havent got black powder but pyrodex RS . Basically asking what would the correct load would be using pyrodex? Having a bit of trouble finding out on the net . Thanks matt

That's about right mate.
By VOLUME pyrodex is about equal to blackpowder. Do not measure it by weight as pyrodex is more powerful by weight than black.
If you loaded 5 drams it gives you a nice margin. Start lower if you wish, say 4 1/2 dram.

Sounds like a lovely bit of kit mate. Got any pictures? Want to sell ;)

Matt.
If this is a vintage gun then the first port of call I would make would be to a competent gunsmith for an examination and report of its condition. When I have acquired the genuine article and wish to shoot it, I have always had the breech plug removed as part of the examination.
These old guns can be tremendous fun to shoot but their age should be borne in mind. So far I have managed to keep all my fingers and thumbs etc.
Best regards.

Yup. Take it to a gunsmith for a look-see. I had a 58 caliber, Three Band Enfield blow the breech plug out while hunting in the wilds. Put me in a surgical eye clinic for 5 days, and left me blinded for three weeks in my left eye, and 5 weeks in my right.~Muir

FWIW: You can halve that charge and halve the shot load. Just make sure you ALWAYS seat the shot firmly on the powder leaving no air space. Also, follow the advice about Pyrodex. It is ALWAYS loaded by volume, not weight.

DSC_0625.jpgDSC_0626.jpgDSC_0627.jpg

Its quite new by the looks of it .Thanks for the advice , sounds like i better go and by a power volume measure

View attachment 55877View attachment 55878View attachment 55879

Its quite new by the looks of it .Thanks for the advice , sounds like i better go and by a power volume measure

Yup. A Zoli. Have at it. A powder measure, and a shot measure..... and a round ball mold if you want to play Courtney Selous! (Tho he used a 4-bore, iirc. Ouch!) You might want to find some fiber wads, or wadding material, to keep the shot and powder separated and in place.

Nice gun, by the way. It's built on the same pattern as the Zouave .58 musket which is reputed to have a very strong breech. I have a Dixie Gunworks Magnum Hunter in 58 caliber rifle that is built on this pattern. It was advertized as one of their strongest black powder arms. ~Muir

Thanks all for the information ,, one more question , Whats the best way to clean it?? Very interesting Muir thanks very much .

clean with hot soapy water take of barrel then stand barrel in a bowl of hot soapy water wrap a cloth around the barrel to hold it with then pour a kettle of hot water down ,using a rod with a mop pump the water up and down the barrel through the nipple , stand muzzle down to dry of then oil

clean with hot soapy water take of barrel then stand barrel in a bowl of hot soapy water wrap a cloth around the barrel to hold it with then pour a kettle of hot water down ,using a rod with a mop pump the water up and down the barrel through the nipple , stand muzzle down to dry of then oil

I use the same set-up but I use something called "Bore Butter" on the still hot barrel. I saturate a patch and swab it up and down the bore. Won't contaminate powder and preserves the bore. I don't know if it's available in the UK, though. If you can get it it's worth the effort.~Muir

I have an 8 bore Westley Richards single bbl shotgun front stuffer, appears to be from the mid 1800s the guy who sold it to me used it often for wildfowling on the UK Thames Medway area.
I have yet to shoot it as always is the case I have not had the time.
Martin

Matt I believe that the 5 1/2 drams of powder with that shot load is a maximum working load & should never be exceeded in the field.
Your biggest problem if you want to use Pyrodex is knowing the VOLUME of the black powder charge that you decide to use as a guide. (Dificult if you haven't got black powder to hand.

I have both black powder & Pyrodex RS. If you wish I can help - Give me the Black powder charge you wish to shoot - (weight in grains) - I will weigh out a sample & measure its volume. Then I will measure out an equal volume of Pyrodex & tell you what it weighs.

1 dram = 27.34 grains so 5 1/2 drams = 150.37 grains (top load for your gun) - That much charge will give you quite a clout. Especially with the shape of the but plate on your gun - so wear a thick jacket, start low & work up with both powder & shot charge weights.

As previously stated always ram the powder charge tightly when shooting muzzle loaders - particularly with black powder. The saying used is "ram the powder - not the shot". - The shot should be pressed against the powder not rammed or you will deform the shot & get crap shot patterns.

You need to balance the shot charge to the powder charge - too much powder will "blow" the shot pattern leaving a doughnut of shot strikes on the target (none in the middle).

Pyrodex works - but is more dificult to ignite than black powder - in fact many people use a tiny charge of fine black powder under the Pyrodex charge to get it going. Otherwise it sometimes goes phut rather than BANG! Black powder works so much better & the smell of the smoke is part of the attraction & experience.

You need to get some wads - tight fitting thick card or fibre ones for over the powder charge & thin card wads for on top of the charge.
Should you wish to shoot round ball you can cloth patch it (a nice tight patch/ball fit in the bore is essential) or use a close fitting ball with wads like the shot wads. Choosing ball size & then the right cotton patch thickness is important for success.
Asuming it is a smooth bore you would find good accuracy at 50 yards but at 100 it will start to be less accurate.

It would be a good idea to get involved with the Muzzle Loaders (MLAGB) they have branches all over the country & attending their range days is a good way to start, as you will get good guidance & help by hte experienced members there.

Your gun is a modern "repro" so it should be fully proofed - no need to take the breech plug out IMHO, but a gunsmith can check it out if you wish to be belt & braces. he should check the nipple for erosion & the hammer spring too.

Wear safety glasses when shooting it - Percussion caps sometimes shatter & fly about!

Have fun!

Ian

As Bruce W said, the same vol shot to powder. I had the same gun in the early nineties and put 2 oz shot and the same scoop of pyrodex through it. I got this gun (36 in barrel ?) as i was shooting a lot of geese at the time and wanted more of a challange !. Managed to shoot woodcock and pheasant using size 6 shot , geese using BB and geese on the shore using a mixture of 6 and BB .My reasoning for the mixed shot was i wasnt sure if i was going to get the chance of ducks or geese. I also used paper hankies as wads when i run out of felts :eek: and found they also worked.
Good luck with your new gun.

Just measured the barrel and its 33in , Hopefully will have a crack at the geese with it . I was thinking it would be good for those high up squirrel drays . Thanks

Just measured the barrel and its 33in , Hopefully will have a crack at the geese with it . I was thinking it would be good for those high up squirrel drays . Thanks
Yes indeed. My last 8 bore was occasionally used to evict carrion crows, nest and all. Two and a half ounces of number one lead shot, from the choke barrel was very effective indeed.

Back