.17 HMR optics

venator cervus

I was using a .17 HMR with a Zeiss scope (6x42) last evening, and could not see anything in a tree which was quite close - 30 metres away. Once I picked up the Swarovski Binos (10x42) the difference was incredible. Whilst I appreciate the difference in magnification etc.. I had not up until now noticed such a difference in the scope to bino comparison. Any suggestions for what people are using on top of their .17 HMRs please? I think I think I may need an upgrade?

I use a Leupold on mine but as I suspect the vast majority of 17HMR shooting is done within 100 yards it really doesn't matter that much what you use. I've had various Hawkes on mine plus the Leupold and an MTC they all worked perfectly well, it is after all a rimfire.

Hi

This could be because the 6x42 have their parallax set for 100m and you were trying to look at something really close.......
However, with the 10x42 binos you are able to vary the focus distances to what you are viewing hence clarity.

Or the Zeiss need a service....

L

PS 4.5-14x44 Zeiss Conquest, plex reticle

Last edited:
Swaro z3 4-12x50 with the BRX reticle is a good tool for the HMR. I can't remember @ which mag but at one point, the lines give a good match for the .17hmr trajectory. There was a good value second hand one on here not so
long ago too.

BSA are doing rim fire etched reticule scopes with yardage - I don't have one but have had a look and it seems like a great idea

i have a sweet 17 i was selling on here cheap to be honest mines a solid scope i had it on a 22lr for twelve months then on my 223 for a couple till i got a 7x50 for it of rupert above,never let me down didnt lose zero at all plus lamping still in good nick good spare for the price,

I use my HMR either in daylight or with NV or a lamp so have found I don't need the same quality of glass as I do on my stalking rifles, however I do need a fine enough reticule and sufficient mag to be able to shoot accurate at long range but thick enough to see when using a lamp. I've currently got a Burris Fullfield ii with the E1 ballistic ret and it works very well for me.

Leupold 4.5-14x56 VXL on mine, that's the one with the cut out at the bottom of the objective,mounts as low as a teckel and suits the .17 really well,probably as good as my swaro 8x42 rf binos in low light but got to say my S&B zeniths leave the binos standing for low light performance.

Ziess (assuming its not a Conquest) run rings optically around the likes of Luepold, MTC etc.

When you say you could not see anything I assume it was getting dark and nothing was visible. That is very odd, my 20 year old Ziess's Dia Vari C s comfortably outperform anything I have ever put against them in low light. Sounds like the scope needs some TLC from Ziess.

A

Ziess (assuming its not a Conquest) run rings optically around the likes of Luepold, MTC etc.

When you say you could not see anything I assume it was getting dark and nothing was visible. That is very odd, my 20 year old Ziess's Dia Vari C s comfortably outperform anything I have ever put against them in low light. Sounds like the scope needs some TLC from Ziess.

A

Ziess quality sure is nice to have, but if you want variable mag and maybe PA then in Ziess your going to be paying far more.
Do you really need it on a 100-120 rabbit gun ? I just dont get spening masses on air-rifle and rimfire optics for bunny bashing.
On CF stuff yes I can completley see why the extra spend.
I can see to head shoot rabbits fine with my MTC under the lamp at 120yards and MTC works very well with NV add ons, to have any "more" optically would just be wasted IMO as it wouldnt extend my shooting time as I just go to the lamp as soon as light fails !

ATB

Matt

Hi, I've got a s/h Nikon buckmaster Bdc reticule 6-18 x40 on mine didn't pay a lot £137 inc del from the bay. It does the job. Zeroed at 100 yards. Would like to put a 50-56 mm objective on as my other rifles all wear them. I got a minox for it but was way too good for a .17 so that went on the 7-08. Have a look at Yukon day scopes my .308 wears a 3-12x56 illuminated centre dot. So far it's very good. If I didn't need a side focus. I'd put one of them on. Not big money either.

S+B 2.5-10x56 on my 1517, but only because it was busy doing nothing when I bought the annie. Only use the 17HMR in daylight or with the lamp so way too much scope for the rifle really (but it looks good :D). In truth could do with a finer reticule for head shooting bunnies past the 100yrd mark. This scope is a klassik not a zenith, but I wholeheartedly agree with dawnraiders comments as my centrefires wear zeniths.
ATB Lee

Back