Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lynx getting released in uk

Lynx getting released in uk

Hi all

just want to know your thoughts on this releasing the Lynx back in to the UK to sort the deer population out?

Think in the areas they are having problems with they should get more people willing to get out stalking and sort them out.?

matt

I can almost guarantee all areas in question will have deer stalkers holding the permission. Question is, are deer be managed properly on them? Hard to know what the facts are but I certainly thought the assertion by the BBC that deer are 'out of control' was a bit misleading at best.

If deer stalking rights are becoming all about the highest bidder rather than the suitability of the stalker, welfare of the deer and proper management planning then it is inevitable that this will be an attractive option to ecologists with little interest in shooting.

Covered pretty well on this thread...

Reintroduction of Lynx into Scotland
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Thetford, Aberdeenshire and Cumbria as the potential areas. The scientific officer in support of Lynx wasn't very radio-savvy, and the interviewer hadn't been briefed thoroughly about the reasons for a reintroduction. Apparently they are 'hugely popular' and 'of great economic benefit' in mainland Europe - Germany in particular?

PF's response does have all the stuff I just asked in it...
    Last edited by oager; 27-04-2015 at 09:33.

Thought they said there has not been any introduced into the UK yet

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    Covered pretty well on this thread...

Reintroduction of Lynx into Scotland
    Best start a new one. That ones from 2012!

let me be the first to sign up for the LSC1.

anyone think that this is more to do with removing firearm ownership from an anti point of view, take away the deer problem with natural predators no more need for guns?. introduction of species to control another never really works out how it is intended to, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    anyone think that this is more to do with removing firearm ownership from an anti point of view, take away the deer problem with natural predators no more need for guns?. introduction of species to control another never really works out how it is intended to, atb wayne
    Yes, spot-on. Our leaders have told the Police,concils,FC etc to make things awkward for shooters for years and guides and agents,lease holders have assisted them. I always have thought that the raptor population is being magnified to ultimately be used against shotgunners-roughshooters.

I'm a bit sceptical about this. If I were a Lynx, I'd probably rather go next door to Thetford forest where there are about 30,000 sheep and lambs rather than take on a gnarly old Muntjac Buck? I'd probably also be tempted by the nice piglets in the outdoor herds, free range poultry and released game birds. In fact, there is so much food about here that they could do extremely well and become a real problem! They are also likely to take on Roe which seem to be in decline. Is it likely that a few cats will even put a dent in a muntjac population which exceeds 50/km in some areas? Muntjac breed at a prolific rate. Unless the cats do the same, then it all seems rather futile. It never seems to end well when we try to interfere with nature and I suspect this will end similarly. They will either have no effect, or do so well that they become a problem themselves!
    MS