Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FC stalking.

FC stalking.

A quick question for everyone, if it is a requirement to hold level 1 & 2 DSC amoungst a host of other qulifications to gain stalking on FC land then why is it I hear more and more about contract stalkers for the Forestry commission killing deer wholesale with night vision etc. and almost wiping out deer in some areas, does this not go against everything that these courses stand for?

So what's the question?

The part behind the question mark!

Such courses teach people about law and best practice. Are you suggesting that the FC are operating outside of the law or against best practice?
    MS

Questions usually are before the question mark. Hope this is not just another thread to have a go at FC. They are into growing trees. In some areas they suffer considerable tree damage by deer therefore they make every effort to control deer within the parameters of the law and best practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck 243 View Post
    The part behind the question mark!
    Really? Reads more like a statement than a question to me

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Such courses teach people about law and best practice. Are you suggesting that the FC are operating outside of the law or against best practice?
    MS
    Perish the thought!

Not a go at the FC directly more at some of the unscrupules contract stalkers they hire, I do realise that deer numbers have to be controlled in new plantations but but driving around shooting beasts whole sale in season and out of season with night vision is a bit beyond best practice,as for the law I am sure they will have all the correct paperwork to cover them. Before nightvision was so readily available deer were controled fine and trees still grew.

Regular Poster
    Where there are more Muntjac than you can shake a stick at
    So many variables but some times it may be necessary to shoot 'large numbers' of deer simply to keep the population at a reasonable level from one year to the next.

I have just added 360 acres, not FC but with woodland, the landowner's explicit intructions regarding Muntjac is to 'wipe them out'.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck 243 View Post
    Not a go at the FC directly more at some of the unscrupules contract stalkers they hire, I do realise that deer numbers have to be controlled in new plantations but but driving around shooting beasts whole sale in season and out of season with night vision is a bit beyond best practice,as for the law I am sure they will have all the correct paperwork to cover them. Before nightvision was so readily available deer were controled fine and trees still grew.
    For some reason pipers and tunes come to mind.