Foreigners that like a momento of their visit to UK -funny or what.

For anyone who cares: memento i.e. something to remember, an aid to memory, a souvenir (French for "to remember") Mmm, the pedantry strong in this one is!
I suppose I could get the title altered if it upsets you so much but you really must get out more because my dictionary also gives this explanation = 'The alternate spelling momento is so common, some references now no longer consider it a misspelling'.
Andrew, I still don't get it, where does Backstop come into it or even anything related to the requirement for one ?

Last edited:
Lets get back to the subject.
Does anybody know of, or has used, Cliffs of the gunshop from the states, he used to send bullets (heads) to Uk ?
Well a couple of years ago he visited UK as a Tourist and one of the places he was taken, along with a whole bus load of other tourists, was Stonhenge.
So I got his timings and met him at Stonhenge with two Staffordshire china cups with Salisbury Cathedral painted on the side and a couple of meat pies made by our local bakery.
He was very pleased and now has a Memento of his visit to Wiltshire.
Here's a picture he sent me of one of his successes in UtahView attachment 55954

I suppose I could get the title altered if it upsets you so much but you really must get out more because my dictionary also gives this explanation = 'The alternate spelling momento is so common, some references now no longer consider it a misspelling'.
Andrew, I still don't get it, where does Backstop come into it or even anything related to the requirement for one ?

Thought you'd arranged for him to shoot it in front of the number plate.;)

You really must get out more.

I get out a good deal, but more would still be good!

I also read a lot, and am always looking for opportunities to learn.

My dictionary also gives this explanation = 'The alternate spelling momento is so common, some references now no longer consider it a misspelling'.

Not all dictionary definitions are equal.

We all get things wrong -ignorance is inescapable- but that doesn't make it right or mean we should prefer ignorance to understanding. The choice is between spelling a word in a way that makes its meaning clear and one that depends on ignorant convention.

Choose wisely!

I get out a good deal, but more would still be good! I also read a lot, and am always looking for opportunities to learn.
Not all dictionary definitions are equal. We all get things wrong -ignorance is inescapable- but that doesn't make it right or mean we should prefer ignorance to understanding. The choice is between spelling a word in a way that makes its meaning clear and one that depends on ignorant convention.
Choose wisely!
This is now getting ridiculous.
Perhaps we could have a special thread for education and you could be a Prefect or class monitor, or you could accept that not all folk are equal, some of us even pronounce the same word differently, and get on with your fellow man.

Thought you'd arranged for him to shoot it in front of the number plate.;)
Ah I see, no I wanted the photo shoot to take place of him sprawled across the bonnet cuddling his 'Trophy' but as it was only a four pointer and in velvet he wasn't too keen for that :D he also wanted the number plate in the frame to show that it was in England and that his 'Trophy' was acceptable over here, so I wasn't left with many options.

I think I have cleared up the misconception, by some, about the Trophy Landrover or Trophy Deer and the reason it was included in the hunters photo so perhaps admin should close this tread as nothing useful seems to be coming of it.

Last edited:
Back