Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 257 Roberts deer loads 100-gr

257 Roberts deer loads 100-gr

There are so many bullets for the .257 Roberts, that I am going to try to keep this to just the 100-gr bullets for starters.

I am no expert on these bullets, as I always used 117-gr or some 120-gr Federal Premium ammo for my rifle, until I bought some 100-gr Sierras to load for my Savage 99 in .250 Savage.

I started with IMR-4350, which was so good with 115, 117 and 120-gr bullets.

The charm of the .257 is that its mild factory loads are actually all you need for deer inside 200 yards. The Remington Core Lokt 117-gr RN is accurate, and kills with aplomb at 2,650 FPS MV.

The variety of brass, from thin to heavy +P, means you have to start low and use a chronograph. Also, IMR-4350 is a bit temperature sensitive. Where I live, the temperatures this year ranged from -4 to +109 F. I was not out shooting in all that, but a 50 degree difference is about 150 fps of pressure in the .257 with IMR-4350.

So start about 39.0 grains and check the velocity. If it is 2,800, then you might move up to 40.0. In cold weather, you might get up to 45.5 grains or more safely, but once the velocity gets around 3,000, you are topping out and probably groups opening up. 43.5 grains is probably going to be a good load in a strong rifle. But be careful and check velocity, and go slow past 2,900 fps in a 24-inch barrel rifle.

I want to try a Barnes TSX or TTSX in 100 grains, but all I have shot now are Sierra and Hornady, both close to 1/2 inch groups.

Be really interesting to see what comes out of this.
    "He who drags the deer has the last laugh (mainly because he has to get his breath back)"

I spun this off from the thread on Old School Cartridges.

I have not done much experimenting with my .257, because I have been lucky enough to find good loads with the 117-gr and the 100-gr bullets with IMR-4350 and H-4831. RL-19 has just been an experiment for me, as I was using it for other cartridges. I have a theory about IMR-4350 that I want to try in a few weeks, with a variety of bullets. I load mine for accuracy, and try to replicate the velocities and trajectories of my .30-06s, especially since I still hunt with the Remington 700 I bought when I was 17 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    I spun this off from the thread on Old School Cartridges.

I have not done much experimenting with my .257, because I have been lucky enough to find good loads with the 117-gr and the 100-gr bullets with IMR-4350 and H-4831. RL-19 has just been an experiment for me, as I was using it for other cartridges. I have a theory about IMR-4350 that I want to try in a few weeks, with a variety of bullets. I load mine for accuracy, and try to replicate the velocities and trajectories of my .30-06s, especially since I still hunt with the Remington 700 I bought when I was 17 years old.
    I have been shooting 25 Krag since my early twenties. It's a 257 Roberts in rimmed clothing. I love Roberts. I may need to order the dies i want.... I'm getting curious now.~Muir

A .25 Krag. That's kinky. I once saw a really nice .25-03 British stalking rifle. I assumed it would be about like the Roberts, because of the case capacity of the .303 Enfield and the 7x57 Mauser.

Although a premium bullet is not needed for deer, I have heard nothing but raves about the the 110-gr Accubond.

I may still build a light weight sporter with iron sights in .257 Roberts. Two of my friends have wives who hunt everything from prairie dogs to elk with their .257s. One has a Remington Mountain Rifle and the other has a Kimber 84 - both lovely, nimble, and put the first two shots on top of each other with a variety of loads.

1979 , I had my first Deer Stalking trip to NZ. KB , a local Kiwi Engineer & good guy was a keen hunter and used exclusively a .257 Roberts on the red deer all over the South Island. KB liked the 120 grain Sierra.Keith kept meticulous records of the red deer he had culled. He was working part time as a government deer culler and to prove that he actually had taken deer, the tail had to be presented to the authorities, he was paid per tail. It made me cry tears of blood seeing photos of immense double 6's and bigger that were left to decay.
    KB had taken well in excess of 300 deer many of them world class Stags with the Roberts. ( as did many other government cullers)
    The interesting thing is his rifle was mess, I mean it looked like a Centurion Tank had run over it. The butt stock was worn and battered , the cheek piece , what was left of it was worn away, almost like somebody had taken to it with a wood rasp. I asked KB what the hell had happened. He laughed and explained that the butt stock was used a brake when running down shingle slides.
    One would literally come off the mountain by running down a shingle slide by moving ones feet until the shingle started to move, the gravel would start to avalanche and pick up speed , if one built up too much speed , simple dig the butt stock into the gravel and use it as an oar or brake. Fastest way to get off a mountain, one could travel downwards several hundred yards in some places. I tried it ONCE ! I am not good on amusement park rides either !

Mike.

A .25 Krag. That's kinky. I once saw a really nice .25-03 British stalking rifle. I assumed it would be about like the Roberts, because of the case capacity of the .303 Enfield and the 7x57 Mauser.

Although a premium bullet is not needed for deer, I have heard nothing but raves about the the 110-gr Accubond.

I may still build a light weight sporter with iron sights in .257 Roberts. Two of my friends have wives who hunt everything from prairie dogs to elk with their .257s. One has a Remington Mountain Rifle and the other has a Kimber 84 - both lovely, nimble, and put the first two shots on top of each other with a variety of loads.
    The 25 Neidner Krag is a very early wildcat, and a superbly accurate one. I have owned original Neidner Krags and a few I've built, including a 25 Ackley Krag IMP which acts like a rimmed 25-06. My current 25 Krag is a heavy barrel target rifle on a Krag action with globe front sight and a Redfield micrometer rear. I used it for cast bullet comps 20 years ago and it is a superb shooter. A Lyman 95 grain GC bullet will pile atop the previous with a charge of 4198. Shoots like a good match .22 rifle.

The 25 Bob is a natural for cast bullets. Paul C.Estey, in his book "The Woodchuck Hunter" claimed the then-new Roberts as a top round for heavy whistle pigs. Cast bullets were a well accepted projectile.~Muir

To me, taking a groundhog with a cast bullet at 2,000 fps and iron sights at 100 yards or more is more satisfying than rolling the troublemaker over at 400 with a .223.

In your .25 Krag, have you tried 100-gr jacketed bullet over IMR-4064?

This gorgeous sporting Mauser I found appears to have the original 7.65mm barrel with the chamber reamed out to .30-06. I need to slug the bore.

If that is the case, I could make up a die and load a .311 or .312 bullet in the .30-06 case, but I am thinking more of making a low offer to get the stock and pristine 1909 action, in high polish blue. A .257 Roberts is a better length for that magazine box than a .30-06 ( and I have a dozen ), so it would make a dandy light stalker. I could use it while building a slim Oberndorf panelled or Griffiin & Howe style of stock.

I need to start a thread on cast bullets, which I know you can answer. I found a bunch of 7mm cast bullets in the back of a store for nothing, and am thinking of shooting them as mild plinkers in my 7x57R combination gun.

To me, taking a groundhog with a cast bullet at 2,000 fps and iron sights at 100 yards or more is more satisfying than rolling the troublemaker over at 400 with a .223.

In your .25 Krag, have you tried 100-gr jacketed bullet over IMR-4064?

This gorgeous sporting Mauser I found appears to have the original 7.65mm barrel with the chamber reamed out to .30-06. I need to slug the bore.

If that is the case, I could make up a die and load a .311 or .312 bullet in the .30-06 case, but I am thinking more of making a low offer to get the stock and pristine 1909 action, in high polish blue. A .257 Roberts is a better length for that magazine box than a .30-06 ( and I have a dozen ), so it would make a dandy light stalker. I could use it while building a slim Oberndorf panelled or Griffiin & Howe style of stock.

I need to start a thread on cast bullets, which I know you can answer. I found a bunch of 7mm cast bullets in the back of a store for nothing, and am thinking of shooting them as mild plinkers in my 7x57R combination gun.
    A cast bullet thread would be welcome. I like to small game hunt with 25-20 WCF and 73 grain cast bullets. Too much fun.

I have only shot either cast or 87 and 117 grain jacketed bullets. I think I used 4895 most of the time.

Too bad that Argentine has been reamed. I have owned a few 303-06's and shot .312 to.314" cast bullet through them. I just necked them in my 7,65 Argentine dies, IIRc. The 7.65 x 53 Argentine is an excellent cartridge as it stands. Too bad so many were butchered. ~Muir

Yes, now we are back into the old cartridge thread, discussing the 7.65 Argentine. When all those beautiful rifles were coming in the the country so cheap, there was no ammo, so many were reamed out to .30-06. If the bore is on the small side, like 0.309, regular .308 bullets might work. But if I get it for $200, it will become a .257 or 7x57, maybe in a Mannlicher stock.

When the Remington Model 7 Mannlicher came out, the salesman I knew had as his samples a .250 Savage and a .257 Roberts. Sweet! But the brain trust at Remmy did not put them in the stores.