Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Factory .303

Factory .303

Hi all,

I have a BSA sporter which I have been using for quite a while. I have been hand loading for it. On a whim I tried to purchase some factory SP ammo for it yesterday.

I was able to purchase just 40rnds made by Norma. One shop even said we don't keep odd-ball rnds like that here.

Is .303 ammo that hard to find all over the country?

Does anybody have a source for .303 SP?

Sellier and Bellot do a SP .303. They're brought in by Edgar Brothers, Viking Arms and York guns. Your local RFD should be able to order them in for you.
    Prvi Partisan do a SP .303 as well but Henry Keanks don't list it on their site.

FMJ stuff from the above manufactures is easy to get hold of down here
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Remington .303 180-gr RN shoot very well for me ( MOA or better with iron sights ), as do the Sellier & Bellot 174-gr FMJ, and they both shoot to the sight markings on the Enfields, and to the same place out to 200 yards; then the RN Core Lokt starts to fall off.

I always liked Winchester. They use .312" bullets VZ the usual .310/.311 inches. They always shot very well.~Muir

The Winchester 180 grain PSP's have always shot well in my 303's . My favorite , a PH sporter , will put three rounds inside an inch off the bench at one hundred meters , and out of a cold barrel . I'm a little shocked that the 303 British is considered an odd ball cartridge in the UK . You can always find factory ammo here for 303's , but they are an extremely popular rifle in these parts . There are over five brands available at our local hardware store ........... That's probably not what you want to hear , sorry brother , you have my sympathies .

AB

You were lucky to find the Norma; they must have been seriously old stock. In the past I've used Federal Classic, Remington 215grn RNSP, Norma and PPU. Of those three only the PPU are still in production, and, as mentioned Krank's don't/wont import them.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

This really is surprising to me. Most well-stocked stores have .303 Enfield in at least Remington 180-gr, Federal 180-gr, Winchester 180-gr, and Sellier & Bellot.
    Better stocked ones have FMJ and SPT in the S&B, PPU, and 150-gr Hornady, and maybe even Superperformance 150-gr SST.

To me, that indicates there are a lot of Americans not only shooting the Enfields, but hunting with them. When Ruger built their No. 1 with a 24-inch barrel and iron sights in .303 a few years ago, but shipped almost all of the small batch ( about 200 ) to Canada, there was a great hue and cry here. I was one of them, hueing and crying.

Unfortunately Southern very few .303 rifles are used in the U.K. for stalking these days so in many areas there's not much call in shops for expanding .303 ammo. I would go as far as to say it's mainly a few diehards living more in Scotland than elsewhere that use this fine old calibre for stalking. The majority of .303 ammo in this country is used in for target shooting and expanding ammunition isn't normally permitted for that.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

In a previous thread, it was said that some jurisdictions had muzzle velocity requirements which the .303 could not meet with a 180-gr hunting bullet. But it seems that the 150-gr certainly would.

I was at a gun show two years ago with a friend and we spied an old 1930s BSA sporting rifle, which to the casual eye might appear to be a garage conversion of a military Enfield. He bought it for about $125.00, and it is pretty neat. I hunt with my military rifles, and so do lots of my friends, all using the 180-gr RN factory ammunition or handloads.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    In a previous thread, it was said that some jurisdictions had muzzle velocity requirements which the .303 could not meet with a 180-gr hunting bullet. But it seems that the 150-gr certainly would.

I was at a gun show two years ago with a friend and we spied an old 1930s BSA sporting rifle, which to the casual eye might appear to be a garage conversion of a military Enfield. He bought it for about $125.00, and it is pretty neat. I hunt with my military rifles, and so do lots of my friends, all using the 180-gr RN factory ammunition or handloads.
    I have a period "Light Express Rifle" by BSA (circa 1900) but I also have a few commerical reworks of #3 and #4 Lee's done in the early 1960's. ("Golden State Arms"??) They shoot really well with the Winchester 180 grain. Alberta Boy sent me a healthy box of Norma 215 grn bullets for the 303 and I sheepishly admit i have yet to try them. I want them for the BSA "Light Express" rifle as I believe that the sights are regulated for this weight of bullet.~Muir

(...of course, real 303 fans shoot cast bullets so they can match the bullet diameter to their rifles!!)