Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Just wondering how many on here have never shot a deer?

Just wondering how many on here have never shot a deer?

As above, for whatever reason there must be a few on here as this forum can be a great place to start with all the good (mainly) advice.

Is it because you don't have access to your own ground?
    Can't afford a guide?
    Can't afford a gun?!
    Had the opportunity but messed up?
    Or, you suffered from bambi syndrome and couldn't squeeze the trigger? No shame in that, it isn't for everyone.

So sound off!

Cheers

Richard

Re bambi syndrome. I never got that, but I am of the belief that your first one either makes or brakes it for you. The most vivid shot I have made to date.

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    As above, for whatever reason there must be a few on here as this forum can be a great place to start with all the good (mainly) advice.

Is it because you don't have access to your own ground?
    Can't afford a guide?
    Can't afford a gun?!
    Had the opportunity but messed up?
    Or, you suffered from bambi syndrome and couldn't squeeze the trigger? No shame in that, it isn't for everyone.

So sound off!

Cheers

Richard
    I've shot a few but it's been so bloody long since the last one that it feels like never!

Currently reasons 1 to 3 on your list apply.

However on previous occasions when I was getting out a bit I will freely admit to 4 and 5 as well...

Hopefully not standing still though as in the time since I last got out stalking I've done my level 1 and my FAC application is currently bouncing around somewhere within Police Scotland. I'm sure it will all fall into place and I'm hoping this is something I'll do for years to come so I suppose there's no real rush... Onward and upward!

I havn,t yet got one or two on perms but never bothered with going down c/f route,then progressed too rimmies 223 etc so i thought right im slowing down now as you do dont get me wrong i still get a buzz doing pigeons /bunnies/fox,but i thought i would stick a vari in !nightmare dont ask anyway got the 6.5+308 on my ticket so now im slowly very slowly at times building either my gear or myself upto the point of going out stalking ,plus i might add i could have gone out last year and stalked thanks to a couple of real gentlemen on here but politely declined until i was or my gear was ready i now have the oppertunity too go in june for a couple of days,and also there might be a chance of a one off next week, so in answer no i havent shot any deer but everything else leading up to deer,atb doug,
    Last edited by AN DU RU FOX; 28-04-2015 at 22:18.
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    Oddly, never had this with deer - but do get it, and badly, with foxes. Have let quite a few of them walk, and more as time goes by.

Quote Originally Posted by AN DU RU FOX View Post
    I havn,t yet got one or two on perms but never bothered with going down c/f route,then progressed too rimmies 223 etc so i thought right im slowing down now as you do dont get me wrong i still get a buzz doing pigeons /bunnies/fox,but i thought i would stick a vari in !nightmare dont ask anyway got the 6.5+308 on my ticket so now im slowly very slowly at times building either my gear or myself upto the point of going out stalking ,plus i might add i could have gone out last year and stalked thanks to a couple of real gentlemen on here but politely declined until i was or my gear was ready i now have the oppertunity too go in june for a couple of days,and also there might be a chance of a one off this week, so in answer no i havent shot any deer but everything else leading up to deer,atb doug,
    No deer, but 3888 posts on a stalking forum!
    Wow! That's some going!
    Good luck when you finally get the chance.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Wills View Post
    Re bambi syndrome. I never got that, but I am of the belief that your first one either makes or brakes it for you. The most vivid shot I have made to date.
    I didn't know whether I could squeeze the trigger before I shot my first deer, I shook badly for half an hour after it and felt absolutely awful... that hasn't happened since (almost did when I was out with Solway Stalker last year and I neck shot a doe.. all I could see was her legs going in thick cover and my stomach emigrated south!!!.. all ok though!) Strangely I have real bambi syndrome when I shoot pigeons!

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    No deer, but 3888 posts on a stalking forum!
    Wow! That's some going!
    Good luck when you finally get the chance.
    MS
    yea but i can make some mean sticks!!!everybody on here is obsessed with fencing,they keep checking posts!!!ACTUALLY STICKING ONE OF THESE THINGS ON IS A POST!ALEX get your rubber out
    Last edited by AN DU RU FOX; 28-04-2015 at 16:47.
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Oddly, never had this with deer - but do get it, and badly, with foxes. Have let quite a few of them walk, and more as time goes by.
    Im the same and think for me it is to do with the reasons for shooting them. Every deer I have shot has been gralloched and then butchered and eaten by myself so I know exactly why I do it. I've passed up a number of lovely fallow bucks because I didn't have the room in the freezer and also they would have broken me trying to extract by myself on foot! Shooting foxes on the other hand has always been a task for someone else and I don't do anything with the fox afterwards so feel "worse" after shooting one.

For or this reason I don't think I could go out with a guide and shoot a deer and just not take the meat home as that for me is the main reason to go stalking.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I have shot a good few deer over the years - more than some, less than others - but the talk of how it affects people differently is interesting.

I still vividly remember the first stag I shot in Sutherland 20 years ago. Looking through the scope, with something living in front of it for the first time, it immediately struck me that I was about to end the life of a magnificent animal (well, I thought it was magnificent). However I knew that numbers had to be controlled, and that this was the reason I was there, so I squeezed the trigger. Job done.

Since then I've been lucky enough to shoot some fine animals in amongst all the cull beasts, but I've only suffered the yips once.

Strangely that was with a roe doe I shot in the New Forest. From the high seat I saw it emerge onto the ride and, try as I might, I couldn't get my breathing under control to take a steady shot. The doe disappeared, only to re-emerge a couple of minutes later, at which point I took the shot with ne'er a care.

That's another shot that sticks in my memory, though, together with those of the mistakes I've made and fortunately one or two very memorable stalks, mostly those alongside good friends.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!