How confident are you with the efficiency of your Firearms department

EMcC

I have just had a request to furnish an Agent with a copy of my FC and EFP to enable me to book a trip on Driven Boar this December and January.
Ok no problem says I and digs out the relevent documents.
My FC and EFP expire 3rd January 2016 so I am going to have a situation where I am really going to have to rely on the efficiency of good ole Wiltshire Firearms Department.
The last renewal I did was much the same and they did a good job then so I am hoping they are still up to it.
I have been told I can expect to start the renewal procedure around October and provided I get all the paperwork filled out correctly, I usually do so no problems expected there, I can expect it all to go well and be given my new FC and EFP on Friday 1st January.
Does anybody else have such faith in their repective departments to the extent that they go ahead and book trips where they know they will need their old FC right up to the last minute and their new one days before a prospective trip ?

Hi

At last renewal, with TVP, I sent in my renewal papers 4/5mths before expiration of the current certificate (Nov) and had it back before the old one expired.
May I suggest that your renewal application is forwarded significantly more than their minimum processing time (TVP say 60days), with a cover letter as to why this early, including that the Christmas break is also likely to have an impact on the function, and your necessity in making arrangements for the following year and would not miss if at all possible.

Once submitted I also found it helpful to keep my renewal on the FEOs radar by contacting them to establish when they will call, rather than them waiting to contact me - if anything this is an opportunity to flag up your urgency so your application may be expedited.

L

Last edited:
If I could drag my house the 4 miles over the Wiltshire border I would!

A&S are ok but Wiltshire are stuff of legend :old:

Durham - what can I say!!!!!
Last encounter was a 120 day period to renew my Black Powder license. This included a full security background check! They must have forgotten that I have a RFD, FAC, SGC and Explosives license already and have had a licence of one sort or other since 1969!

Last edited:
I applied for a variation from Devon and Cornwall, it was back within a week. I have no complaints about them, always very helpful providing you do your bit right.

3 weeks of phoning a few times a day before I managed to speak to someone from the Lincolnshire office...... I have never had an issue with them before now but that was disgusting. I wont hold my breath once my shotgun certificate needs renewing at end of the year.

In your situation I'd send it in even earlier than they suggest with the covering letter as has already been suggested. My last variation for extra calibres took two weeks in Sussex but that was only delayed as I had moved and my new FEO wanted to meet me and see where my cabinet was now located.

My FAC and SGC were both renewed coterminously by West Yorks early this year. It was handled very efficiently and was sorted with some weeks to spare. None of the silly mistakes and quibbling I have had in the past. I have heard we have a new Licensing Manager and if my recent experience is anything to go by they are doing a good job.

Yorkie.

Norfolk and Suffolk are great! Mine expires mid June. Paperwork arrived at the end of March. I got around to filling it out (with a variation for a new rifle) and had an interview about 2 weeks ago. New certificate arrived yesterday - 6 weeks before expiry date and good to June 2020!:thumb:
Sorted!
MS

No I emailed to ask about lead times on my FAC 1-4-1 and SGC application, was told 3-4 months min on 1-4-1 and 6 months for a SGC application.

When I read of things like - Ring up, write in, send this and send that, It makes me realise how lucky we are in Wiltshire.
I somtimes ring and ask when it would be convenient to pop in to sort something or other and on every occasion that I have done that it has always been within the next hour or so or they have asked me when it is convenient for me.
Variations and notifications are almost always done within minutes while you wait, renewals, coterminous SG and FC, take a little longer but so far has been to my satisfaction without any problems whatsoever.
I do know that some take a lot longer but I also know that the reason has always been for a reason caused by the applicant, forms not filled in correctly or illegibly written.

The Met have been oustanding, every time I have renewed my SGC and more recently granting my FAC. It would have been done in 4 weeks if they had not been delayed by waiting on Avon & Somerset police to complete a land check.

Back