Buzzards

danban

Hi guys I just wondered what animals you have seen buzzards take? There is 1 around here that likes cats!

I had one hit a floater when out decoying on OSR in the spring surprised it didn't get speared, buggered up my preseved pigeon though.

D

A bit of a strange thing to say - or are you one of those people who think badgers only eat wholemeal muesli bars?

Not at all, I've flown hawks for over 20 years and I can tell you 100% that a common buzzard has neither the strength nor the tenacity to kill a cat, I've seen a 3lb Goshawk come off second to cat, so if someone says there's a buzzard killing cats it's either a load of b*****ks or it's not a buzzard (could be an escaped Redtail) but definitely not a common buzzard, and as for the badger comment, what relevance as that got, I'm well aware of what they eat.

+1. No chance whatsoever. Large female Gos or Redtail maybe. No cat is just going to roll over to a Common Buzzard! I've seen a Buzzard kicked off by an adult rabbit, but I've also seen one take an adult rabbit and the same 2 scenarios with cock pheasants. A cat on the other hand is whole different ball-game.
ATB Lee

I nearly had one fly straight into the windscreen on an estate road close to Glen Tilt in Perthshire. It was obviously concentrating on something running ahead of it on the track which I assumed was a rodent of some sort, but when I got closer saw it was a toad running / hopping hell for leather along the ground. The bird was so wrapped up in catching dinner that it only saw the car when maybe fifteen or twenty feet away (I'd almost stopped by now) and did a rapid turn / climb. The toad disappeared into the roadside ditch - its lucky day!

Regularly taking muntjac around here as I'm not seeing the wee tuskers.

They must have a cut off point that is beaver as definitely no shortage of that.

K

Seen one fly over me with a three quarter grown curlew in its talons and an adult curlew in pursuit

Came from a reliable person! Swears blind its a buzzard. I have seen them take rabbits and pheasants. I have also seen them after hares

They take fully grown grouse, this "they only eat carrion" is complete bollox. We have Grouse, Pheasant and Partridge on the estate I'm 'keeper, I've seen them take all them fully grown birds, also, they find a brood of chicks, be them Grouse, Curlew, Oyster Catcher or Plover, they'll take a chick them keep coming back 'till tone chicks are gone. I've seen them kill 3/4 grown Brown Hares with ease, I believe that one would target cats.

Back