Thread: Stuff on standby.

Stuff on standby.

I always make sure that anything with a fair draw on the mains supply, are turned off if I'm leaving the house unattended,(washing / drying machines ovens etc), but a warning here, small draw stuff like telly's on standby & the item I found this morning (Mains transformer for TalkTalk router) MELTED! are now on my list of checks, Mrs Finnbear has a habit of just pulling the moby's off the chargers & leaving them powered up, I will have to show her this melted item..
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

There was a horrific picture going round the WWW about five years ago showing a guy in bed with half his head missing caused by his mobile phone being used whilst connected to the charger and the battery blew up.

If you have a peek on the inside of one of these chargers that's gone faulty you'll see how cheap and nasty they are.
    They get through european standards somehow though. Probably with the proviso that they aren't left on all the time.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    There was a horrific picture going round the WWW about five years ago showing a guy in bed with half his head missing caused by his mobile phone being used whilst connected to the charger and the battery blew up.
    A palestinian bombmaker had the same problem.
    They reckoned it was down to a small quantity of c4 in the handset and a call from Tel Aviv.
    Last edited by private fraser; 29-04-2015 at 09:18.

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    small quantity of c4 in the handset and a call from Tel Aviv
    Mind-blowing
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    I had one of those 5 h 1 tfire batteries go bang on me a few months back, and I was glad I was in the loading room when it did, apart from it blowing up itself and the charger it dropped a very hot section on top of the work bench where I have a bit of carpet placed on it when I don't want to mark what i'm working on,

it set it alight and had I been out or in the house I could have lost everything

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Me mam once had a lamp which one day it decided it wanted to be a fire instead. Then the sofa thought it looked fun and got involved as well and before you know it the entire room was having fun as a fire.

Fortunately me mam was walking the dogs and my sister had nipped to the shops. Things didn't fair well for Ken the goldfish mind. His entire world was water and the room he was in hit 600 centigrade. Poor poached bugger.

Sometimes this stuff happens, you can minimise the risk but it's all about smoke detectors!
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Definitely re the smoke detectors.
    Another thing is the size amp wise of the fuse fitted. A lot of things get given a 13a when all they need is a 3 or a 5.
    If things go wrong all that extra amperage goes into heat.

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    I had one of those 5 h 1 tfire batteries go bang on me a few months back, and I was glad I was in the loading room when it did, apart from it blowing up itself and the charger it dropped a very hot section on top of the work bench where I have a bit of carpet placed on it when I don't want to mark what i'm working on,

it set it alight and had I been out or in the house I could have lost everything

bob.
    Funny you should mention that Bob, I have a couple of recent "Ultrafire" batteries from the bay, a little of the polywrap peeled away on one of the bases & a disc with the wires attached came away from the base contact, no wonder the torch ceased working.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!