Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading data for 9.3x74 45/70

Reloading data for 9.3x74 45/70

Can any give me some loads that have worked for them in these 2 calibers. the 45/70 is a ruger No1 and i have hornady bullets. 300g hp. for hunting.

I am also trying to find what other people have used in a 9.3x74 and what they have found to be most accurate.

kind regards

calvin

Regarding the 9.3x74r find out what your rifle was regulated with and then try to replicate it. I tend to use Vihtavuori N140 loads or TR140 with mine.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Can't help with the 9.3 but 45-70 I can.

Take Aim at Rifle Reloading Data | Hodgdon Reloading

Unfortinately they don't list the hornady bullet but it's a useful
    link nonetheless.

With level 3 load data you're gonna be able to push that 300gr damn fast. They aren't the strongest bullets in the world so I'd probably use lever action data to avoid over-expansion and more meat damage than is usual with a .458.
    That been said, for smaller deer it'll probably be very effective. Same goes for the 300gr Sierra HP.

Im waiting on some 350gr Hornady RN. Much tougher so will stand up to higher impact velocities better. The 350gr Hornady FN is a nice middle ground between the two.

It it all depends on how fast you wanna push 'em.

I know now it's not strictly the advice you wanted but hopefully you still find it interesting.
    Feel free to ask anything else either here or in a PM. Always like helping out the other big bore guys
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

You don't need expansion with a 45-70. If a 243 shooter punched a .458 diameter hole through a deer he'd think he hit the holy grail of bullets. Shoot what is comfortable and accurate and keep the shots under 150 yards.

Hodgdon has 9.3x74R data as well.~Muir

I agree Muir but, as you know, we have to use expanding bullets by law.
    As i said, my concern is that the 300gr HP when loaded up to what a Ruger No1 can take would expand too much thus negating the awesome penetration the setup is capable of whilst producing excess meat damage.

You definitely dont need expansion but you sure as hell dont want excessive or too rapid expansion as i am sure you'll agree.
    I think we are saying the same thing here but from different angles

If you send me you email address, I'll send you a copy of the Lyman reloading data. I also have the Vit manual if you want a copy of that as well.

Dave
    Last edited by Colonel; 29-04-2015 at 15:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Greener Jim View Post
    I agree Muir but, as you know, we have to use expanding bullets by law.
    As i said, my concern is that the 300gr HP when loaded up to what a Ruger No1 can take would expand too much thus negating the awesome penetration the setup is capable of whilst producing excess meat damage.

You definitely dont need expansion but you sure as hell dont want excessive or too rapid expansion as i am sure you'll agree.
    I think we are saying the same thing here but from different angles
    Yeah. What I was getting at is that the 'blackpowder' loads will do fine @ 1400 fps. At those speeds over expansion won't be an issue.~Muir

Roger that. Totally agree there mate. Unfortunately at 1400fps we'd need a 400gr to be legal for 'large' deer.
    1600fps with a 300gr makes deer legal just.
    I imagine the 300gr will hold up to that fine and ofcourse impact velocity will be down at 1400 by 50 yards.

Seems like a good option for a nice low recoil load.
    Thats the beauty of the big bore straightwall cases. So versatile.

I've had good luck with the Hornady 300 grain hollow points loaded over IMR 3031 and H 4895 . One lower velocity load which was very accurate in my Ruger No 3 was 43 grains of IMR 3031 at about 1500 fps . Two higher velocity loads consisted of 53 grains 3031 at about 1800 fps and 55 grains of H 4895 for about 1800 fps . The last two loads aren't maximum , but as always , proceed with caution and work your way up . The 45/70 isn't a very picky round to load for , I'm sure you'll find an accurate combination quite easily . I found the lower velocity loading perfect for smallish white tails in timber and it didn't destroy a lot of tissue . Hopefully these powders are available where you are . Good luck .

AB

In the 9.3x74R I use 65.5 grains of 2209 and a 286gr hornady interlock. It is extremely accurate and sighted 8cm high at 100m for a 200m zero on my double rifle.
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle