Thread: Rabbit body covered in soars and scabs

Rabbit body covered in soars and scabs

Hi Guys,

Has anyone ever seen / shot a rabbit that had raised scabs over its entire body. I shot a rabbit last night that I'm sure had red eye shine before I shot it, unfortunately though the eye. I did not notice at first but when I went to gut it, noticed that it had raised scabs and scars over its entire body and legs, with some hair loss and bald spots. It was also thin. Laid next to the other rabbits it was obvious its coat was not not smooth but almost Mainge like in appearance, which could it possibly be? possibly a silly question but are there notifiable disease in rabbits ?? Called the vets this morning but they were unwilling to offer any advice.
    I did not open it up to see the condition of the organs but bagged it up and instantly changed my gloves. I have kept the body albeit triple bagged. I have not examined it under good light conditions.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Steve
    Last edited by charlieboy-shooter; 29-04-2015 at 10:16.

nothing notifiable (certainly that I am aware of anyway!)

I find the easiest indicator of poor condition or infection is often flea count
    wouldn't surprise me if an instance of VHD or Mixi presented poor condition from bites which had scabbed over

+ 1 on bewshers ive had quite a few over the years only odd ones now and then but the rest perfectly clean i just put it down to mixie or bad condition,
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by charlieboy-shooter View Post
    Hi Guys,

Has anyone ever seen / shot a rabbit that had raised scabs over its entire body. I shot a rabbit last night that I'm sure had red eye shine before I shot it, unfortunately though the eye. I did not notice at first but when I went to gut it, noticed that it had raised scabs and scars over its entire body and legs, with some hair loss and bald spots. It was also thin. Laid next to the other rabbits it was obvious its coat was not not smooth but almost Mainge like in appearance, which could it possibly be? possibly a silly question but are there notifiable disease in rabbits ?? Called the vets this morning but they were unwilling to offer any advice.
    I did not open it up to see the condition of the organs but bagged it up and instantly changed my gloves. I have kept the body albeit triple bagged. I have not examined it under good light conditions.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Steve
    Attachment 55974 I found this, after shooting a doe rabbit with the same raised scabs you seem to describe, this is what I assume to be the uterus, when incised it was full of what I could only describe as an Elmlea type creamy fluid, disgusting stink too!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

just to add on too finnbears those that i see are does ,so maybe being hammered for young or stuck underground for long periods full of fleas etc maybe something in it,
    DONT START

So, sometimes acute myxoma virus will effect some rabbits in this way.
    Raised or sunken body sores, furuncles [boils] hair loss, closed airways, eyes and anus etc are all simptoms.
    Sometimes they even mamage to recover from these effects!.
    VHD have different simptoms and if seen often the only sign will be bleeding from one or more orifice.

As above, rabbits will often develop 'nodular' myxie and will have weird lumps and bumps. Don't quote me but I think I read somewhere that it can be a sign that the rabbit has formed some immunity and that it's survival chances are slightly better than with 'classic' myxie?

With regard to the 'elmlea' post, rabbits are very prone to abscesses too and when an injury gets infected it can form large pockets of a thicker, cheesier puss than most animals would have.