Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much should I pay/offer?

How much should I pay/offer?

I'm in the market for a .223 Remington Foxing rig and I have been told of a gun that might be for sale as the owner is 'open to offers' (actually I know the gun is for sale as I know the guy who really wants to sell it). The rifle is described as an older model short-action Sako that has more recently had the semi-custom treatment. It has a stainless, heavier profile barrel, a bedded action, in an otherwise standard wood stock and Reflex moderator (all in good condition) and comes with loading dies, about 200 unused R-P cases and 'a couple of boxes of bullets'. There is a scope in Sako Optilocks but that's on an 'optional' basis. The story goes that this rifle shoots very consistently small groups and has only fired 3-400 rounds but has become a 'cupboard-queen' because the guy doesn't do much foxing these days. How much do you think might be a fair offer/price for the bare rifle and the reloading stuff?

I wouldnt /couldnt put a price on someone elses setup but if i was you i would check guntrader,gunstar,local rfds anywhere you can to compare models,atb doug ps i would just add also think what your actually going to shoot,sound daft no because its a 223 so if you can get up scotland or live near munties /cwd your ok other than that its a fox/bunnie rig,i have a 223 but i checked a few providers for munties and most still want you to use a 243 min,hope this helps,doug,
    Last edited by AN DU RU FOX; 29-04-2015 at 14:35.
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by AN DU RU FOX View Post
    I wouldnt /couldnt put a price on someone elses setup but if i was you i would check guntrader,gunstar,local rfds anywhere you can to compare models,atb doug
    Sound advice me thinks.

its only worth what you are prepared to pay.if its as good as described ask to see it shoot then make an offer.

It depends what added value (if any) you put on customisation, personally i put nothing on that but fair price on branded additions i.e scope, mounts, mod, bi-pod. Maybe 600 to 800 with no scope??

I have no doubt others will disagree.

Never make an offer.
    Tell him it's his rifle (and related gear) and that only HE knows what he needs to get for it.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Never make an offer.
    Tell him it's his rifle (and related gear) and that only HE knows what he needs to get for it.~Muir
    Ok, tried that. His reply, 'I said I was open to offers' 'make me an offer' 'I'm not going to both sell and buy the damned thing' 'but bear in mind I spent nearly 2k building it and it's done very little shooting and NO target competitions'
    So, what do I do now?

Quote Originally Posted by megsjockey View Post
    described as an older model short-action Sako
    It has a stainless, heavier profile barrel, a bedded action,
    Reflex moderator (all in good condition)
    loading dies,
    200 unused R-P cases and 'a couple of boxes of bullets'.
    There is a scope in Sako Optilocks but that's on an 'optional' basis.
    how long is a piece of string

what action? A1/75 or something else ?
    what barrel/length/calibre/cartridge?
    what mod? T8 or PES/MAE
    what brand of dies? Lee or Redding Competition?
    what bullets? dogtown or berger!?
    what scope? Hawke or Schmidt and Bender!?

could be worth 1000's or a few hundred quid!!

His 2k is of no value in the discussion
    plenty of "semi custom" rifles with 4k wrapped up in them up for sale at 1500-2000

get the spec and anyone can make an informed decision

can't be bothered with people who sell stuff by saying "make me an offer"
    Alright... "50 and a box of teabags!"

plenty other rifles out there with less mystery

and....
    2k on an rebarrelled Sako action with OEM stock and optilocks?
    really?
    sounds like a very expensive barrel swap?
    Last edited by bewsher500; 30-04-2015 at 08:55.

The price you should offer is down to a few factors, eg :-

How much is in your budget?
    Does the rifle turn you on? How does it look / feel to you?
    Does it handle & balance nicely for the style of shooting you'll do most?
    Is it a "Walkabout", "Truck" or "Sniper style" rifle? - What style do you want?
    What condition is the action / bolt in? - Look for bolt face erosion & bolt lug galling.
    What condition is the crown & muzzle in? Look for corrosion & dings- Has the moderator been removed after use?
    How good is the muzzle thread?
    What twist is the barrel? Does that match the weight of bullets you'll use?
    How beat up is the stock?
    Who did the barrel replacement & bedding job?
    What was the cleaning regime?
    200 is a low shot count, How "hot" were the reloads shot through it since it was rebarrelled?
    How does it actually shoot? Get to test fire it & see for yourself before you buy. Don't trust vague statements such as "consistently smal groups".

Depending on the above, & how much the seller needs to move it on, I think Willy's 600 to a max 800 estimate is not too far off the mark including the Optilock rings & accessories / ammo.
    You could give him a silly low offer & get away with it.
    If you buy it - pull any reloads & redo them - don't trust any unknowns!

Ian

p.s. I just read the bit about the 2K & agree with Bewsher - that is irrelavent to you - Surely you don't want to pay more than the price of a brand new rifle!! It is a second hand rifle that is for sale - it has been reworked & is non standard now & is only worth what the marketplace will accept - not the vendor's possible folly - you don't want to pay for that!
    Last edited by Yorric; 30-04-2015 at 09:14.