Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: more bino questions.

  1. #1

    more bino questions.

    I have leica duovids absolutly great, but being a proffessional I am out everyday in all weathers.
    my big problem is heavy rain they let me down with the lens holding water.(not leaking) just sat on the surface.They are only 1 1/2 years old and my worry is I am going to damage the lenses by having to wipe them all the time.
    I would trade them now while they are still in good condition.
    I've just bought a new zeiss scope with the lotutec coating not had chance to try it yet in the wet.
    And feel it will work well.
    I am now feeling its the way to go with the binos.
    whats your views on this coating.
    And the new ziess FL lenes.
    Last edited by www.yorkshireroestalking.; 06-04-2010 at 15:30.

  2. #2
    for me the solution was flip up lense covers on my binos, solved the problem straight away. not sure about lotutec, never heard of it.

    Skipp.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy1001 View Post
    for me the solution was flip up lense covers on my binos, solved the problem straight away. not sure about lotutec, never heard of it.

    Skipp.
    thanks but my bins are up to my face all the time and i have a rain shield fitted.
    other problem with flip up they cause misting once the lenses are wet.
    lotutec is nasa designed product for repelling wet and dirt the lenses coated with this repel all agents so water beads away.
    thanks anyway
    its here and the dogs do.da's
    http://www.zeiss.de/C12567A80033F8E4...257131004B746C
    Last edited by www.yorkshireroestalking.; 06-04-2010 at 13:28.

  4. #4
    I think it's very good, the water seems to bead up and drop off better. I haven't tried them in a shooting environment though, just on a wet day looking at inanimate objects. Be very careful cleaning your lenses, it seems that this is mostly the cause of damage to them, mainly through wiping/scrubbing with cloths. I recently wrote a bit of a post about my experiences with binocular selection, I would link it but don't know how. If you search under my name you may find it, I hope it is some use to you. All the best

    Tuck

  5. #5
    SD Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    Posts
    894
    John

    From what i can gather both leica and swarovski have used a similar coating on their new binos....leicas being called HD i think.
    The only report i've heard regarding the lotutech and wahtever the other manufactures call theirs is that the rain runs off the lenses and sits in the bottom of the lens casing so you have to keep shaking the water out after you've glassed, But the idea does work. There is an alternative to buying new bins...and that is the spray stuff you can buy for car windscreens....something like rain stopper it's called (but don't quote me) and it does exactly the same job as the lotutec etc.

    regards

    steve

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen magson View Post
    John

    From what i can gather both leica and swarovski have used a similar coating on their new binos....leicas being called HD i think.
    The only report i've heard regarding the lotutech and wahtever the other manufactures call theirs is that the rain runs off the lenses and sits in the bottom of the lens casing so you have to keep shaking the water out after you've glassed, But the idea does work. There is an alternative to buying new bins...and that is the spray stuff you can buy for car windscreens....something like rain stopper it's called (but don't quote me) and it does exactly the same job as the lotute
    regards

    steve
    ive had this suggested but am worried about the factory coatings already on the lenses.

  7. #7
    Hi John ,
    There was a programme on telly last week hosted by that berk from top gear ( the one that tried to top himself at Elvington!) He featured the same technology which comes from the leaves of lotus plants (hence the Lotutec name I guess) http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode..._Out_of_Sight/

    doesn't help you with your question bit you might be interested !!!

  8. #8
    Thanks mate i watched it and thats another reason i fancy a change.

  9. #9
    A few years ago Bausch and Lomb went bust and their Technology was bought out by Bushnell. Now Bausch and Lomb had one of the original East German Karl Zeiss factories, so the lenses are/were pretty good. My mate Jim in the states swears by these binoculars; http://www.bushnell.com/products/binoculars/elite/ He tells me that the american elite soldiers use them, I don't know if it is true, but they look interesting, especially this rainguard thing.

    I have a pair of porro prism (tank commander) Swaovski's in 8x30, my mate Mr Howard has a pair of 8.5x42 EL's, I do not think they are worth three or four times the price of mine. At most he gets another 5 minutes in a morning than i do. But, and I will grant you it's a lulu, your job depends upon them. So what do you think are the best you have tried?

    Atb, ft

    Edit, this is worth a look; http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2...hart_main.html
    Last edited by flytie; 06-04-2010 at 15:19. Reason: Bino Info chart
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Waldy View Post
    Hi John ,
    There was a programme on telly last week hosted by that berk from top gear ( the one that tried to top himself at Elvington!) He featured the same technology which comes from the leaves of lotus plants (hence the Lotutec name I guess) http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode..._Out_of_Sight/

    doesn't help you with your question bit you might be interested !!!
    saw that myself , very intresting stuff

Similar Threads

  1. stiener bino`s
    By apollo in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-03-2014, 11:40
  2. ZEIZZ BINO SWAP
    By biglad in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14-10-2009, 22:18
  3. steiner bino,s
    By the scudd in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-08-2009, 16:41
  4. Bino Spec
    By Stringer in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-02-2009, 13:12
  5. Bino accesories
    By 243varmint in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-08-2008, 22:17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •