Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A warning to my local deer population.

A warning to my local deer population.

I went to the range the other evening. It was a beautiful, almost windless evening just before sundown and I'd had my heart set on some off hand practice. When I set up I first wanted to get rid of three odd rounds that got seated deeper than the rest of the lot. I shot a 8" x 12" steel plate at the 100M mark and put all three rounds into one silver splash mark. I walked down to see the group and before walking back stapled up a fancy, store-bought, life sized deer target. I came back to the bench and fired my three practice rounds down range. The shooting felt good and when I retrieved the target I had two rounds in the heart and one along side of it: About a 3" group. I decided to quit as it was getting late. I walked back to the bench admiring the pretty group and thinking how much I enjoy this Tikka and how I'm getting better shooting it off-hand. When I got to the bench I looked up to see four whitetail deer standing there looking at me from about 40 yards behind the bench. I don't know how long they'd been there.
    I picked up the 'deer' target, unfolded it, and held it up to them. "Just wait!" I said, "I'll be back for you in the fall!!"
    Off they ran.
    They've been warned. It's only fair.... ~Muir

They will have headed over the border by then, far far away. lol.

i have to say I must get the air rifle out and start doing off hand practice. I am completely rubbish and if I can get good at it then it can only make my stick shooting better. I think I would be happy if I could hit a 12 inch disk at 100 yards off hand.
    Not with the air rifle I hasten to add.
    now where's those bloody deer.....?
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Quote Originally Posted by The Singing Stalker View Post
    They will have headed over the border by then, far far away. lol.

i have to say I must get the air rifle out and start doing off hand practice. I am completely rubbish and if I can get good at it then it can only make my stick shooting better. I think I would be happy if I could hit a 12 inch disk at 100 yards off hand.
    Not with the air rifle I hasten to add.
    now where's those bloody deer.....?
    I'm certain that you will become very proficient, very quickly. When I first got the T-3 Lite I was terrible with it due to it's lightness. I would 'dry fire' three or four rounds a night, every night, and get in as much live fire as possible. I was soon busting clay birds at 100 at about 95%.~Muir

What is your best method to shoot of hand Muir, I was thought to swing slowly across target and pull the trigger as I just hit the target, but I am rubbish free hand and just use the sticks.

I suggest you get out amongst the bunnies with air rifle /rimmie slow down pick your shots different positions etc you will be surprised how easy it is ,i used to do and still do most of my shooting offhand but now i use sticks as well and it just gets better,atb doug,
    Last edited by AN DU RU FOX; 30-04-2015 at 08:51.
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by AN DU RU FOX View Post
    I suggest you get out amongst the bunnies with air rifle /rimmie slow down pick your shots different positions etc you will be surprised how easy it is ,i used to do and still do most of my shooting offhand but now i use sticks as well and it just gets better,atb doug,
    Im a slow shot at the best of times. Don't think I would want to be practicing on live quarry. I would aim at the head and most likely shoot the tail. Lol.
    i think learning stance and practicing from there.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

start with tennis balls? matchboxes anything about the size of a bunnies head paper plates anything as long as your safe,then progress to something for the pot im not suggesting just practising on bunnies far from it ,but once your relaxed enough to shoot targets you can step it up without stiffening up and over complicating things,dont forget standing in a living room or gardens not the same as a ploughed field or bottom of a hill or a slope,
    DONT START

Have a look at Franz Albrecht's pointers
    Watch "Frantz Albrecht instruktaż techniki strzału" on YouTube
    Frantz Albrecht instruktaż techniki strzału:

try potatoes ,there the right size for bunnies and biodegrade on farmer piles field ,so no mess to leave behind.10/20/30 ft with an air rifle then move up to c/f when ready and increase the range but do it on your own so no one takes the wee wee when you miss

Quote Originally Posted by tozzybum View Post
    ...on farmer piles field ,...
    Does the farmer know you call him that!