Thread: fecking mower!

fecking mower!

really p1issing me off now"!"

mountfield hp474 with cut out bar

was working fine, now starts but cuts out after a second
    will only start on full choke
    will only start again after a period of pause

have drained fuel replaced, drained carb, drained oil and replaced,

checked fuel, spark, plug is clear, gap is fine, nothing hooked up or interferring with carb and choke settings
    micro switch for cut out is open
    air filter cleaned, coil seems fine (as it will spark the plug on every start stroke with plug out)

doing my head in!

am guessing it is flooding since it will fire after a rest but it won't stay running even if i catch it and knock the choke off once firing

SD Regular
    I didn't know fecking needed mowing - I shall have to read the descriptions of mowers more closely next time I buy one - and consider whether I need to start mowing my own fecking preserve. I only have a small patch, but I don't want it to proliferate, albeit that it is very good for feeding the breeding BuggerAlls.
    Are you sure you have a proper fecking mower - and not been mis-sold the common or garden lawnmower in its stead - all of which are prone to the condition you describe. More commonly known as 'sulking' having been left in the shed all winter.......
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Is it a Briggs and Stratton engine?
    mine did the same changed the diaphragm in the carb
    works fine now
    search you tube how to fit quite easy & just a couple of quid

SD Regular
    (Check the carb valve...... and the governor spring - these have a habit of unhooking/snapping, so the mower won't autochoke properly)

There you go - ^^^ diaphragm - proper word..... ^^^
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

yes, B&S
    will have a look thanks
    had the carb off but couldn't see anything that had come loose, failed or was stuck

Had similar problem with chainsaw a while back. If I remember right it the flexible rubber pipe between fuel tank and carb was beginning to perish and had small hole in it. Hence it would start on choke but fail to run..
    May be worth a look...

Briar

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    yes, B&S
    will have a look thanks
    had the carb off but couldn't see anything that had come loose, failed or was stuck
    The diaphragms do give in the end - but easy and cheap to replace. Need to have the whole thing apart - right up your street Ed, surely?!

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Post a picture of your engine showing the carb and I'll probably be able to tell you what to look at
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

cant see any fuel leaks on the tank to carb hose

have no problem stripping it, just can't be arsed stripping and rebuilding to find out that some part is dead that I can't see!
    what exactly does the diaphragm do?

wouldn't a leak just make it run rich?
    would expect a rich mixture to even out on less choke (choke makes it rich surely?)

teyhan it is this one:

http://www.spares4me.co.uk/mountfiel...rams/M389A.gif

better pic but it doesnt show the regulator arm which I can't find any details on!

http://www.spares4me.co.uk/mountfiel.../A-M150-09.gif